New York bottle and/or Wisconsin bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

driftwood

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what this New York bottle has to do with Prairie du Chien ?

Attachments

• P4.jpg
    P4.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 112
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 116
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 111
  • P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 117

nhpharm

Reaction score
Chester N. Case...I've always heard that this is a mineral water bottle and that was the brand name of the mineral water but I'm not sure.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
If my h.s. French I is still ok, chien means dog.

driftwood

Reaction score
Yes, it's a mineral water bottle for sure, but can't figure out what the Prairie du Chien has to do with it. I went on the Wisconsin bottles website but it's not listed there.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Unless the company was based in New York and also had a plant in Prairie du Chien. I have seen that before. Brown mfg co. was based in New York but also had a plant in Greeneville. The bottles just said both the city in New York and greeneville, but didn't specify why they were both on the bottle. I'm assuming this is the same with your bottle. Hope this helps.

driftwood

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. Guess that's what keeps bottle collecting so interesting......you always come across something different.

Reactions: Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Wow! Hemi Hampton adds to Nutmeg State history. Thanks. ...I've been to Harwington. Sort of hilly there. Might have to check out an old map. I'll give Case credit--many didn't come home from their attempts at Western mining. How the dog figured into the town and bottle's names is a question. Got to wonder if Case knew John Brown (C'mon remember the guy on the '70s Kansas album cover?!) He showed up in Kansas in 1859 too. Their CT hometowns are fairly close. My, my, CT folk sure do get around... ;)

Bob_Stahr

Reaction score
From the internet:

Traditionally, the name of Prairie du Chien came from the French for Prairie of the Dog, an early Fox chief who lived on the prairie. French Canadians engaged in the fur trade settled on the island by the river, and the fur trade made the first major economic impact on the settlement.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora