Newbie at digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scduckett

Reaction score
OK, I've collected bottles since I was 14 (even though the early ones have disappeared in moves and such). I have bought all my bottles but the digging itch is bad. I DREAM I've found caches of old bottles!! I wouldn't mind finding that valuable bottle but mostly I'm interested in where it's been, its unusual characteristics, it beauty in color or form. I'm a history buff who's greatest adventure was helping out with an archeological dig here in Alabama. Can anyone tell me some resources in print on how to get started digging, where to look for prospective spots (how to recognize the ole outhouse site, for instance) and what tools may be needed (OK, I know, a shovel is a good start, haha). I've been to Digger Odell's site and looked at his book titles. Are these good references?
I live in historic Montgomery, AL and know there's a cache waiting for me out there. Thanks for the help in advance. (Oh and thanks for reading this far!!!)

luvtodig

Reaction score
Welcome scduckett !!! [:D] You will find that this is a great place to get advice..Digger O'Dells site is a good one, also magizines like Antique Bottle & Glass Collector..they have great stories and good articles on bottles, they also have a web site..local history at your library is good too..as well as any local historic bottle clubs...this is just a start..if you go back over the posts here there is a lot of info to read..the people here are great..[:)]..oh and see if you can get old maps of the area, so you can see where they dumped their garbage..good luck and again welcome![:D]

scduckett

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I did find other posts regarding how to find the privy holes and such. All day at work, I've been asking if anybody knows of old houses or family places I could go look at. One prospect came up. I'm a home health nurse and do a lot of driving on country roads. I see ALOT of old homesteads. How do you go about finding out who owns this property? Or do you just wander on in and look around (if there's no "No Trespassing" signs of course).

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hi scduckett[:)] the rule of thumb is to get permission from the property owner..this will save you from getting a ticket for tresspassing, or worse shot at[:-] some people feel very strongly about you being on their property..I have found the best way to find out the owners of property is to get yourself a land atlas & plat book for the county that the property is in..i it is a map of the area devided into sections of land..also shows cities, towns ect...it lists the property owners by townships so you also have to know that.. each section of land shows who owns it and how many acres..they are available, depending on the area, at the county courthouse..the one I have now is dated 2001 so it might not be up to date,one problem you may encounter..this info is a matter of public record..sounds like you have gotten off to a good start...good luck[:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora