newbie finds more worthless stuff!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

batfish

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I’m new to this, so forgive me if these bottles are from last week’s garbage [;)]

Anyway, I found dozens of bottle fragments (here is a sample) and a few intact jars embedded in a streambed, behind an old farm. I was only able to grab a small sample of because I had my dog in tow (poor girl cut her foot on a shard), my fishing pole, and nothing to carry the glass with.

Given the number of shards I think I can safely assume this area was some sort of dump or garbage pile. My questions is, are any of these samples old (don't care if they're valuable)? If so, I’ll return and dig a little bit into the bank and see what else I can find!

Please forgive the lousy photography.

Thanks,

Batfish

batfish

Reaction score
argh - one picture per post... forgive me

Ay74456.jpg

Attachments

• Ay74456.jpg
    Ay74456.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 98

batfish

Reaction score
...and one more (I have more, but I'll stop here - sorry about the mess)

Yw68951.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68951.jpg
    Yw68951.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 90

woody

Reaction score
Looks like a 1940's dump.
Once you get the hang of what is old you'll leave these behind because they just aren't old enough to take home.
Sometimes you will find older glass in a 40's dump, but it probably was thrown out when someone was doing some spring cleaning.
With the exception of milk bottles and soda bottles, most of the stuff from this era just isn't "old" enough to be considered by the serious antique bottle collector.

batfish

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured they weren't too old (they had the bottle maker's seam) - but the great thing about being a newbie is that everythink I find I think is cool!

I'll probably go back to the site and (without my dog) and dig into the bank to see what else I can find. If I find more relatively young bottles, should I post pictures of them? Or would this just annoy the regulars?

Also, any idea what those bottles in third picture might be? Could they be soda bottles? Catsup?

woody

Reaction score
The bottle on the left is a soda bottle and the other bottle is a vinegar bottle, I believe.
Check out the area more.
You might find an older spot where you'll find some keepers.

woody

Reaction score
I'd rather have a picture of a bottle on this forum than try and figure out what someone has just by a description of it.
Keep posting the pictures.

Scarlet Lily

Reaction score
Hey now, those may not be the oldest bottles but they're still kinda neat!

Even if they are just 40's bottles, thats still 60+ years old. Thats not that shabby for a bottle. I have a bottle dump on my property from about 1920 to 1960, and there are actually some neat bottles down there.

They may not have any collector value, but they're still kinda cool to look at.

Have fun! [:)]

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis