newbie help #2

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flyer21

Reaction score
Thanks for the help on the first pic...how cool. A pickle jar eh? sweet (no pun intended)
This next pic is from this afternoon from 2 sites. The 2 bottles on the left are from the first site and the other 5 are from a new site today. The bottle to the far left is a medicinal one with "Owens" written on the bottom and 3 vi written on the front with cc measurements and 1-5 on the sides.
The 2 bottles on the far right had matching plastic caps (newer eh w/ Plastic?) They are ribbed and when you fill them with water they hold liquid when tipped upside down w/o the caps on. The bottle to the left of the amber one has shaker holes under the metal cap.
Thanks again for all your help and I hope you enjoy the pics, even if they are common.
Randy

Om33363.jpg

Attachments

• Om33363.jpg
    Om33363.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 81

Jim

Reaction score
Good to see you made some more finds, Randy. Your 3vi medicine is an old prescription bottle. I dig a lot of these, and I like them. The Roman numeral after the 3-like symbol is the ounce size of the bottle, yours is a six (vi) ounce. I have seen them from 1/2 oz all the way up to 36 oz, in both cork and screw top. Your next four are a food jar, a ketchup and two more medicines. The last two look like perfume or hair tonic bottles, since they have the small hole that dispenses the liquid in drops. The 1930s dump that I dig has both cork and screw-cap bottles, and a lot of the caps are plastic. Some of the bottles that I have dug in both cork and screw cap (often from the same holes) include prescription medicines, Listerine, Clorox (lots of those), ink wells and others. You will likely find some of these very same bottles, since your sites are around the same age. It is very possible that your sites contain some bottles that will make you very happy to find. Among bottles just like yours, I have found an embossed Waterman's Ink, a crystal-shaped cobalt perfume and a Vapo-Cresolene poison bottle. Good luck in finding some more! Jim

Yooper14

Reaction score
Good ID's Jim!
Yes, I also have a 1900-1930s dump and have dug all those bottles. I find a number of the ones on the right. My dump is from an old boarding school...I find lots of hair tonics and perfumes. Also, being a school, I find Waterman's and Scrips Inks by the bucketload!! Some neat poisons, and most valuable of all have been the milks. I sold a 1/2 pint milk for $325.00 recently!! Keep an eye out for old embossed milks in your dump!

Jim

Reaction score
I see embossed local milks in my dump all the time. Unfortunately, all of them so far have been broken beyond repair [:mad:] Here are a few that I have found: Lewistown Pure Milk Co. (two of them)- Scarce. Ulsh and Shinkel Hardware-Even scarcer. And the worst one of all- A partial pyroglaze from the Highland Ave. Dairy. Until a few weeks ago, I did not even know that this dairy existed. It was located right on my street, and the bottles are quite rare. I have found one to buy ($200), but I keep hoping to dig a full one some day! I also find tons of smashed local soda bottles including Coke, Whistle and others. I have only dug one full one, a Nehi. As many other full, intact bottles as I find here, I keep hoping for a few good milks or sodas. I would gladly give up my next 10,000 Clorox bottles to find that Highland milk in one piece [:D] But in any dump around this age, yes, embossed milk bottles can be some of your best finds! If (when) I finally dig one in one piece, I'll be sure to post it. Jim

Reaction score
Good ID's Jim!
Yes, I also have a 1900-1930s dump and have dug all those bottles. I find a number of the ones on the right. My dump is from an old boarding school...I find lots of hair tonics and perfumes. Also, being a school, I find Waterman's and Scrips Inks by the bucketload!! Some neat poisons, and most valuable of all have been the milks. I sold a 1/2 pint milk for $325.00 recently!! Keep an eye out for old embossed milks in your dump!
I see you mention your 1/2 pint that sold nicely! How/where do you like to sell them? I am new to this all. :p Could you give me tips on how to price/sell some of my dairy bottles? Embossed dairy from Massachusetts (J.B Prescott from Massachusetts, Giles, Horlick's, and C.B Meek). I don't want to sell on 'Bay, but thinking of posting my lot on craigslist. Appreciate any advice! My husband says I need to sell some off before I dig for more! :p Simply not enough room to 'collect them all'. :D

Attachments

• DSCF6325.JPG
    DSCF6325.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 40

hemihampton

Reaction score
This post is from 2005. 18 years ago. not sure they'll be responding anytime soon?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky