Newbie needing help.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am brand new here and I know next to nothing about antique glass. But I do believe I have an antique jar and I would like some help identifying it because I have googled this and can't find anything that even resembles it. I'm just trying to find out if it's real or if it's a reproduction. It's a two-eared Speas 1 gallon jar, but nowhere on it does it say vinegar, which makes me suspicious. I inherited this jar from an old moonshiner. And that's really all I know about it.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
That is a jug for vinegar. Originally it would have had a paper label indicating the contents. It is a machine made bottle and fairly modern. 1950's ish. It is interesting, but has little, if any monetary value. It does look like a MOONSHINER jug. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. So it's probably genuine but basically worthless. I am leaving the country soon so I am drastically downsizing. Good to know I can just toss it in the donation pile.
Just for grins and giggles here's a photo of the bottom. https://photos.app.goo.gl/D2USumVi6CSHpxnt8

Reaction score
Thanks, great idea. But I have a friend who really wanted it so I gifted it to her. She has loads of old bottles so I know she will give it a loving home.
I just wish I knew the stories it has probably been party to back in it's former life in it's white lightning days.
The same gentleman that gave me this jug also gave me about a half a dozen old "fruit jars" as he called them. Those I'm hanging on to, I use them in the pantry. From what I understand the hollows around that area of the Smokies are full of these old finds. Wish I was in good enough shape to hike back in there and look for them.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky