Newbie on Jar Doctor Tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
So after about 3 months I finally got my Jar Doctor tumbler. I know he's been busy but was starting to get a little worried. I asked Wayne at that time how easy it was to put together and he said he had NASA engineers buy them and people who couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time and both put it together simply. Told him I was in the middle somewhere, probably closer to the chewing gum, but I got it put together pretty easily. Started today with a Pat. D Coke not worth much as my first sacrificial lamb.
I know several of y'all have used these for years and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I learn how to do this. He sent with kit 1200 grit and aluminum polish. Will this take care of most bottles or will I need other agents to clean bottles? I have tumbler in a small room in shed. It's already hot in there from motor. A little concerned about fire hazard but assume it's safe to run days on end? I'll check in later on how it's going. Could use any tips if you got em.
Thanks, Jeff

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
I got a basic one canister system with 1/3hp for now. Might add another roller and canister later but I don't have that many to tumble right now.

Attachments

• 20230520_143936.jpg
    20230520_143936.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 89

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
So after about 3 months I finally got my Jar Doctor tumbler. I know he's been busy but was starting to get a little worried. I asked Wayne at that time how easy it was to put together and he said he had NASA engineers buy them and people who couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time and both put it together simply. Told him I was in the middle somewhere, probably closer to the chewing gum, but I got it put together pretty easily. Started today with a Pat. D Coke not worth much as my first sacrificial lamb.
I know several of y'all have used these for years and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I learn how to do this. He sent with kit 1200 grit and aluminum polish. Will this take care of most bottles or will I need other agents to clean bottles? I have tumbler in a small room in shed. It's already hot in there from motor. A little concerned about fire hazard but assume it's safe to run days on end? I'll check in later on how it's going. Could use any tips if you got em.
Thanks, Jeff
My motor has been running pretty much 24/7 for many months now. Rolling 5-6 tubes at a time.

hemihampton

Reaction score
when I was new at it I liked to tumble. Tumbled up a storm. but over time it seemed like such a chore & pain in the ass that once I tumble one bottle I take a break for a few months. I might still get excited to tumble a bottle if it super rare & desirable & can't wait to put it on the shelf. just my opinion, others may vary. LEON.

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
when I was new at it I liked to tumble. Tumbled up a storm. but over time it seemed like such a chore & pain in the ass that once I tumble one bottle I take a break for a few months. I might still get excited to tumble a bottle if it super rare & desirable & can't wait to put it on the shelf. just my opinion, others may vary. LEON.
I agree. I'm sure it will start to feel like work after a while. I have collected nowhere near the hundreds you have and i maybe have 15-20 that need to be cleaned. But it will be nice now to see a bottle for sale that's in bad shape and know I can get it looking better for display. Or eventually sell at some point.

midway49

Reaction score
Good luck with your tumbler! I run mine 24/7 from April to Oct., and same motor for 22 years. Does produce a little heat, just give it some air. Not sure why he sent you 1200 as I thought he suggested 1500 as the all purpose. I don't mind the hour a week it takes to change and start 2 new bottles, but I am retired now

hemihampton

Reaction score
YEAH, what midway said. I'd recommend the 1500 grit silicone carbide over the 1200 grit. in my opinion, you only need the 1200 grit on really sick beat up bottles, too much time tumbling in 1200 grit can start to remove embossing or distorting it, same with 1500 but at a slower pace. I use just the finer Aluminum oxide on bottles that only need a light tumble. Good Luck, Have Fun. LEON.

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. That was going to be my next question. If bottle was not scratched/etched up and mostly just stains could I just use the polish?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis