newbie: poking around on public land

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

batfish

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m new to this – having just found my first bottle (which led to the discovery of this site and some piqued interest!).

Anyway, over the last several years I’ve made somewhat of a hobby of exploring the local small preserves and conservation lands looking for antiquities. For whatever reason, I find the vestiges of long forgotten settlements fascinating.

I’ve accumulated quite a collection of old cellar holes, mill sites, logging camps, (even a Victorian era ‘tea house’!). I’ve always wondered about what I could find if I dug around some of these locations.

These sites are on land that is owned by either conservation groups, by the towns, or by the state. Has anyone had any luck attaining permission to dig (or probe) around these sorts of sites? Note: these sites are never the ‘attraction’ of whatever preserve I am exploring – they are just forgotten relics lying, by coincidence, within the boundaries of the preserve. They are certainly not attractions or destinations to anyone but me, it seems.

Second, are such sites ever worth exploring? I’ve considered just probing around some of the cellar holes looking for old dumps and such. Or do sites on public land tend to be picked over – even if they are many miles out in the woods?

I am in NH, if it matters.

Thanks!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Welcome, Batfish . . .

Trespass laws vary from state-to-state.

Do not take anything like an old bottle from federal land. Federal agencies can impose administratively (no trial) a staggering fine for disturbing their fiefdom -- and they will.

There is probably no bottle in the White Mountain National Forest that is worth getting on the wrong side of the federal government.

Show us some bottles you've been finding in NH.

------------Harry Pristis

batfish

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured WMNF land was off limits. That's ok, it's a little far to drive and my twin daughters keep me close to home!

I was referring to smaller scale preserves - little town owned conservation lands, audubon society land, spnhf land, state parks, etc.

I haven't found any bottles yet except the one worthless 'DAZZLE' bottle I found today in a state park - but my interest is piqued!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18