Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DavidW

Reaction score
here are some I'm having trouble finding info on
Hi "2dogs2people",
I don't have much meaningful info to offer, but as I am always interested in date code markings, it is my assumption that two of the soda bottles (one is green, the other one is clear- in your first batch of 10 pictures) have a date code for 1981 on the bottoms (81). One of those has a mold number of "31" and the other one has a mold number "20".
Also, farther down, your base photo of the markings on the clear Coke bottle that is unopened, the "76" is (I presume) a date code for 1976. If you are able to, I'd love to hear any feedback from your father-in-law about those markings and if I am correct! One question I have (if he is able to remember/answer) is this: when existing soda bottle molds in use were re-tooled with a new date code year (such as changing the engraving from a "75" to a "76") did they try to do that right around the very first of the new year, or was there considerable "leeway" in the time period before the bottle molds had to be changed? Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks! David

2dogs2people

Reaction score
Hi "2dogs2people",
I don't have much meaningful info to offer, but as I am always interested in date code markings, it is my assumption that two of the soda bottles (one is green, the other one is clear- in your first batch of 10 pictures) have a date code for 1981 on the bottoms (81). One of those has a mold number of "31" and the other one has a mold number "20".
Also, farther down, your base photo of the markings on the clear Coke bottle that is unopened, the "76" is (I presume) a date code for 1976. If you are able to, I'd love to hear any feedback from your father-in-law about those markings and if I am correct! One question I have (if he is able to remember/answer) is this: when existing soda bottle molds in use were re-tooled with a new date code year (such as changing the engraving from a "75" to a "76") did they try to do that right around the very first of the new year, or was there considerable "leeway" in the time period before the bottle molds had to be changed? Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks! David
thanks for the insight. he has good days and bad so the next time he has a good day and I can get over to see him I will definitely ask about the date codes He talks about about his specific job, he was the engraver that changed the dates on the molds. he also talked to me about making molds for individual people every so often. he worked nights so he said he was able to get away with it more than day shift. apparently he made extra money by assisting the bottle makers in making special items.

2dogs2people

Reaction score
Hi "2dogs2people",
After talking with him he said he generally started changing the mold dates around June because there were so many of them. But they did not run them until December

DavidW

Reaction score
After talking with him he said he generally started changing the mold dates around June because there were so many of them. But they did not run them until December
THANK YOU! This makes perfect sense. I have wondered how it could be possible to have all the many molds being used at a glass company all "neatly" changed over (in a short period of time) for the next year!

2dogs2people

Reaction score
THANK YOU! This makes perfect sense. I have wondered how it could be possible to have all the many molds being used at a glass company all "neatly" changed over (in a short period of time) for the next year!
he said it took all of 6 months to get most of them changed. they always had a few that were used right up til the end that were changed after the new year started. From what I understood they generally had a spare for around half of all the molds that were being used. just in case they had one get messed up. he gets excited talking about creating molds for special reasons or special occasions. The mold engraving job he had turned into a career that he had done very well with. He took that knowledge and added in his own artistic abilities to become a master engraver for guns, knives or anything metal. It's sad he wasn't able to pass it on but he still tries to work even at 85. He is amazing at what he does.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu