Newburgh New York Backyard Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Do you collect New York bottles specifically? Or just whatever hits you?

SpringHouse

Reaction score
Do you collect New York bottles specifically? Or just whatever hits you?
I have been in and around old homes for many years. Worked in the architectural salvage field and now working in preservation and historic site maintenance. Always poking around for junk, extra proud of these bottles as they came from our own back yard.

Also, the stoneware bottle is labeled C&P, for Cunningham & Powers. A family by the name of Cunningham lived in our home in the late 19th century. Looking into that possible connection.

yacorie

Reaction score
I have been in and around old homes for many years. Worked in the architectural salvage field and now working in preservation and historic site maintenance. Always poking around for junk, extra proud of these bottles as they came from our own back yard.

Also, the stoneware bottle is labeled C&P, for Cunningham & Powers. A family by the name of Cunningham lived in our home in the late 19th century. Looking into that possible connection.

that’s cool. I think there was a popular Cunningham from the Philadelphia area that was a big time maker of stoneware too - so maybe that could be a lead.

would love to see other bottles or just cool stuff your saved over the years.

the work I do requires lots of coordination with SHPOs and THPOs and then often recovery and preservation - cool stuff you are doing.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
In one photo you show a single item. On my phone it looks like a plunger to a syringe. Is that correct?

SpringHouse

Reaction score
that’s cool. I think there was a popular Cunningham from the Philadelphia area that was a big time maker of stoneware too - so maybe that could be a lead.

would love to see other bottles or just cool stuff your saved over the years.

the work I do requires lots of coordination with SHPOs and THPOs and then often recovery and preservation - cool stuff you are doing.

This button came up burried under the original hearth, back then surplus lime from mortar and plaster was sometimes used as a base for dry laid brick or stone.

Attachments

• 20190921_184857.jpg
    20190921_184857.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 124

yacorie

Reaction score
This button came up burried under the original hearth, back then surplus lime from mortar and plaster was sometimes used as a base for dry laid brick or stone.

very cool. Have you identified it? We find a lot of buttons detecting and I’m often surprised at some of the old ones having makers marks on them

SpringHouse

Reaction score
very cool. Have you identified it? We find a lot of buttons detecting and I’m often surprised at some of the old ones having makers marks on them
Did some brief research, seems to be civil war or just after. There are several versions if this, no makers marks.

It was encased in lime dust so is not in great shape. There was a huge lime pit nearby, could have even fallen off a coat when unloading kilns! I know many military folks wore thier issued uniforms after the war as well.

willong

Reaction score
Not sure, my first guess is that it may be an insulator for passing wires through a timber or stud. It is glazed and has a star imprinted.

The tube component of "Knob and Tube" wiring is what I was immediately thinking.
1585151782594.png

I grabbed the photo from the Web, and it is not the best example. From memory, I believe the tubes, at least some variants, do have a larger O.D. on one end to butt up against, but not pass through, the structural members.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado