Nice colored bottle, but.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gohunt

Reaction score
I gather from this site and other places that this bottle I picked up in a local antique shop shouldn't be this color? I bought it before I knew that it might be irradiated.

Attachments

• 2625ae1b86c4453bb306c20610f2de0c.jpg
    2625ae1b86c4453bb306c20610f2de0c.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 81

sandchip

Reaction score
I found all these, which are about as dark as you'll find naturally occurring. I think yours may have had a little help though. [attachment=sca.JPG]

Attachments

• a1e5e34ba2b94ff9b36c97ae67154d75.jpg
    a1e5e34ba2b94ff9b36c97ae67154d75.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 76

sunrunner

Reaction score
no this bottle is generally an aqua blue or green they nuked a good bottle. you see a lot of these bottles in antique stores that have been treated this way.

BottleCapKid

Reaction score
The only bottles you will see with natural purple coloring with be a very very light purple. That comes from years of exposure from the sun. It turns that very light purple color over many decades. Some people speed up this process by nuking the bottle which will turn the bottle very dark purple. Basically if its a dark purple it has been nuked and if it has a very light purple tint it is probably natural coloring. Hopefully this helped, Shane

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
BottleCapKid said:
The only bottles you will see with natural purple coloring with be a very very light purple. That comes from years of exposure from the sun. It turns that very light purple color over many decades. Some people speed up this process by nuking the bottle which will turn the bottle very dark purple. Basically if its a dark purple it has been nuked and if it has a very light purple tint it is probably natural coloring. Hopefully this helped, Shane
Well, yes and no. It depends on where you live. If you're in the desert then it's quite possible to find bottles that have turned dark purple like Sandchip's. Decades of extreme sunlight exposure will turn a bottle very dark purple, that's why you see insulators which are that deep purple which haven't been nuked, because they were up on the poles for that long. I've found deep purple shards in a mine tailing before, since trees were never overshadowing it for the last full century. But for an intact bottle to get that dark naturally is quite a stretch, it would have had to have been exposed to sunlight for basically the entirety of its existence.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky