Nipple pontil....Really??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Another day, another type of pontil. This is the newly categorized pontil style on an Ebay puce colored large ink bottle recently listed. I wish I had a colored cathedral pickle for every type of pontil there is now! :)

Johnny M

Reaction score
Agreed. I just never cease to be amazed at the terminology people use to describe and market bottles with either intent to deceive by some or just through ignorance by others with a smidge of some vague truth not actually founded on sound and thorough research.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
People who know little about bottles and their history may know that a "pontil" is on the bottom of a bottle. They may confuse "pontil" with "bottom." That's why I try to write "pontil scar" when talking about a bottle. "Pontilled" may lead to the same confusion, I think. I like to use the term "empontilled" which to me is more focused on an applied external action rather than on the bottle bottom. Nuance, sure! But inventiveness substitutes for ignorance in the lingo of some collectors.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm all for inventiveness but not at the hands of the ignorant as exampled by those sly s.o.b.s that purposely butcher the English language for a buck.

mrcure

Reaction score
Well, what the heck IS this mystery slippery "nipple pontil" :D? Just a mold mark?

• Haha
Reactions: Len

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger