Number 13

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Agree - no one was breaking jars back in the day. Plenty of 13 jars out there - I have found a bunch and don’t even really collect jars.

it’s a way forpeople to charge more for an otherwise worthless jar

Lunick

Reaction score
I never heard the story until eBay rolled around. It's just like a lot of the other fake or downright fraudulent claims out there made by sellers that are geared towards making people thing something is more valuable than it is (came from a shipwreck, came from a Civil War camp, made from a piece of the USS Constitution, is a salesman's sample, is a pirate boarding grenade, and on and on and on). Since a lot of the medicine bottles we collect made fraudulent claims, we should be even more attuned to the fact that human nature doesn't change and there are always liars and frauds out there!
so true so true my friend

EvansBottles

Reaction score
I have been fighting this battle for years now. Trying to inform people about the misconception that the number 13 on the bottom of a Ball Perfect Mason means it's valuable. It's aggravating to have to listen to this so often. There are numerous people at the flea markets searching for them. I try to dissuade them, but they will have none of it. Because of course they are worth a small fortune. Why anyone would think this is just incomprehensible. People are frugal by nature. They wouldn't throw away a jar just because it had the number 13 on the bottom.

As for the odd size jars go, There was no fraud involved with them. They are in fact packer jars.
They were made to package a product that was sold by some other way than liquid volume.
Such as coffee which is sold by the pound. So they had mason jars made in the size needed to
package their product. And the consumer got a free mason jar with their purchase. The consumer certainly didn't care if the jar wasn't a full half gallon, quart or pint.

Lunick

Reaction score
Well thank you for your information. I never said they were valuable, I just was wondering how many were out there. Sorry for the bother.

greenbay1108

Reaction score
I set up at tradedays often and usually have around 40 different names and sizes jars, but it is funny that the people like the #13 in the ball blue perfect masons. They will not buy the other brands with #13 on them. Been carry a wire clamp victor #13 for over a year and no one interested in it, Glenn

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
I set up at tradedays often and usually have around 40 different names and sizes jars, but it is funny that the people like the #13 in the ball blue perfect masons. They will not buy the other brands with #13 on them. Been carry a wire clamp victor #13 for over a year and no one interested in it, Glenn
I'd love to have a wire top Victor. Around my area people seem to hold onto their family canning jars and pass them down through the family. So the inventory is not that diverse, atleast from what I've personally seen available for sale. For me, the wire top, or Lightning closures and the clam/screw top are more appealing than a Ball in any color or size. With the exception of a few special made ones and some of the larger sizes, I would much rather have a the wire and unusual/uncommon closures that worry about the number on the bottom of a jar that ever jar collector or hobby shopper has. But then again, my collection of things is very diverse in its items that I deem as fit for me to buy or own. I love the oddballs and overlooked things, they need happy homes and loves like any other lol. If possible I'd love to know if you'd be willing to send me pictures and a cost of your little misfit and maybe I can help you give it a loving home and not be overlooked by those who just don't appreciate it :)
Feel free to send a message if you would like to discuss
Raff

Sent from my SM-S260DL using Tapatalk

Kheidecker

Reaction score
When I first started jar collecting I had to have the Shwayze this guy had had a 13 on the bottom so we wanted way more money for it I bought it anyway. A month later I dug up a Swayze 13 identical jar the only two jars I've ever dug in my life. I have three jars with the 13 on them. Everywhere I go I ask people if they have jars in about half of the time they asked do you have any 13s and I just kind of laugh. I find it hard to believe that back in the day they threw away anything that wasn't useful I believe back in the day they weren't nearly as wasteful as we are today

Kheidecker

Reaction score
A dug swayzees is the best swayzees.FREE

Attachments

• 15937821999258241024991340403731.jpg
    15937821999258241024991340403731.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 375
  • 15937822326805952126190598851133.jpg
    15937822326805952126190598851133.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 358

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
They were not a generation to waste like that for sure, I have to think they would have traded them to someone who canned or put up vegies for jars of a different number. Old fashioned superstitions are still alive and well still today.

Sent from my SM-S260DL using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora