odd discovery's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

towhead

Reaction score
Wow Wheelah. I missed that story.

There was also one on here recently where someone dug up an old grave. -Julie

VTdigger

Reaction score
I never dug a dead body, but I did find a cow's tooth in the stream near the former site of the Norton and Fenton potteries in Bennington ( along with some pottery shards.) I don't understand how a tooth from a cow that looks old, but it's hard to tell if it is, came to be in a stream right next to a school and where years ago they did a dig archeological dig. (1998 and oh how I wish I was into digging like I am now as they had volunteers helping the dig.)
here is the article about the dig: http://www.chipstone.org/publications/CIA/2002/NewDiscoveries/Zusy/zusyindex.html

JohnN

Reaction score
For a while, the strangest thing I found was an oyster (or maybe clam) shell, but day after day I kept finding them. Someone must have liked clams for dinner. Then, one day I dug up a bone. Don't know what kind of animal it was from (I'm not a bone expert), but it looked like some kind of arm or leg bone. I sometimes find horseshoes, so I'm guessing it was possibly a horse bone. -John

epackage

Reaction score
Hand Grenade....stupidly brought it home without knowing if it was active or not...It was and after the people from the Arsenal came and disposed of it they sent us an inert one with a plaque mounted on a board, the things we do as kids....LOL

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: NJCollector

For a while, the strangest thing I found was an oyster (or maybe clam) shell, but day after day I kept finding them. Someone must have liked clams for dinner. Then, one day I dug up a bone. Don't know what kind of animal it was from (I'm not a bone expert), but it looked like some kind of arm or leg bone. I sometimes find horseshoes, so I'm guessing it was possibly a horse bone. -John

I'm digging near the site of a butcher plant in the 1800's... I've found all kinds of cow bones, mostly! Vertebrae, thighs, and plenty of t-bones... The Montclair people in the 1800's were living large... I've found huge layers of oysters and clams too. You can tell a lot about the society from their trash!

kwalker

Reaction score
Strangest thing's probably this old hotel key for room 1230 from Philadelphia. The Bellvue Stratford. It's odd how this kind of stuff gets into people's garbage...

069.jpg

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Trojan condom wrappers (tin) from the 1890s. A sealed and full bottle of holy water. A Cascade projectile point (10,000 years old). Brass knuckles. A derringer. A glass eye. Many false teeth partial and full plates. Boar tusks. A baby's arm holding an apple. These are a few of my favorite things.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky