Odd Ink...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Too many places for the ink to get stuck in and wasted. I think it’s a one off made from left overs. Frankinbottle . Someone had a bottom middle and top left over from 3 different bottles and made there own bottle . An amateur bottle maker so to speak.
Well, that is a novel idea! It's kinda fun trying to discover what this little fella was used for, but a bit frustrating as well. There's always hope one of the good membership will recognize it & solve the riddle.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Well, that is a novel idea! It's kinda fun trying to discover what this little fella was used for, but a bit frustrating as well. There's always hope one of the good membership will recognize it & solve the riddle.
I don't think I really buy the frankenstein idea, putting together a few different molds seems like it would be a lot of work and I don't know why anyone would bother finishing the lip on something like that. I really think it's some sort of specialized bottle for a niche use. Hard to say what though.

willong

Reaction score
Wow that's quite the inkwell, never seen one of those before! I assume it was meant to screw into a desk, probably was intended to be refillable. It's got a strangely crude and utilitarian top for a refillable ink though. Maybe intended to have some sort of metal cap?

In the photo, it looks to me like those are not functional threads--they seem to be both L/H and R/H as well as interrupted. I think they are just decorative elements.

Jamdam

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents as an ink collector, never seen it, not in Covill or any other ink guide I have so believe it’s something else. Probably industrial or scientific use but really no reference, just a guess.

embe

Reaction score
Looks to me more like those ridges are for insulating wire instead of threading into anything. My opinion... but it's a question for sure. Thinking something got broken off on the hollow end

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh if it's not threaded then that changes things. Still no clue about what purpose it would have though.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents as an ink collector, never seen it, not in Covill or any other ink guide I have so believe it’s something else. Probably industrial or scientific use but really no reference, just a guess.

I'm another ink collector who has never seen this one. Agreed not in Covill and I don't think it's in Faulkner 2nd. I'm also guessing something commercial or lab. But that's only a guess.

Jim G

Chukason

Reaction score
Kinda looks like the lid to the glass container that was shown in a earlier post with the top broken off but I could be wrong

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18