Oh where oh where could the privy be

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flagga

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, Couple of days ago I went to a house that is 240 years old in Southern Maine. My Best friend is opening a restaurant and putting an addition on the back 40 feet by 40 feet, I was there when they dug the 8ft deep foundation and found a couple of pieces of stodard Glass and pontiled stuff but there was no bottles anywhere to be found. The addition is in the back of the house, My Question would be would the privy mabey be on the outer perimiters of the property? or just further back from the 40 ft foundation It has to be there somewhere There was an old Tavern from the 1700's next door to, so I am thinking that I should check the outter perimiter of the property. There has to be stuff there just need help finding it lol.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello flagga, is this place you are digging an old farm?, if so some farms were built in this way, big house, little house,back house,barn, the back house was the privy or held the privy, if this is the set up i would start with the back house, known to the old timers as the out house, good luck.

flagga

Reaction score
Hey Maineahh, No it wasn't a farm it is a huge colonial with no barn, 240 years old. I am going to take the probe out there tommorow and check it out. I know the privy is not directly behind the house, mabey further back. Or on the outside perimeter I hope I find it. Hey you live in Saco Maine, I am from Wells Maine, I have been having very good luck digging in the mud flats in Portsmouth NH this winter. Hey I will send you an E-mail.

Thanks, Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac