Old Colony - Lemon Lime - flat top can 60's era

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
had mentioned in other thread that I found an old colony lemon lime can in a dump I had recently found . never found this design of can before . old colony was a Canadian soda brand which seems to have been popular from the 50's > 70's and then seems to disappear .

this can a flat top version and is light green / white in colour , you can see that a lot of colour remains although a fair bit of obvious rust damage from being outdoors so long . there is colour on both sides of the can and you can read the company name on the side " Orchard products Limited Toronto Canada " contents 10 fl oz

might eventually clean up some more based on the colour still there but is only so much I can do rate now

DSC04388.JPG

DSC04389.JPG
DSC04391.JPG

Canadacan

Reaction score
A good soak in lemon juice, or oxalic acid bath with clean that up. At some point in the late 50's/60's it seems as though Crush sold of the Old Colony line but I have never found the documentation of any sort. The cone top cans were all marked Orange Crush and I have a copy of one ad from 1954 for the cone tops.
Crush introduced it as their flavor line in the mid to late 20's and it sold as simply OC ginger ale, OC-grape, and so on. By 1939 it was being advertised as Old Colony in the USA, I never ran across any earlier ads in Canada for Old Colony but O-C is mentioned in ads from 1925.

Reactions: RCO

RCO

Reaction score
A good soak in lemon juice, or oxalic acid bath with clean that up. At some point in the late 50's/60's it seems as though Crush sold of the Old Colony line but I have never found the documentation of any sort. The cone top cans were all marked Orange Crush and I have a copy of one ad from 1954 for the cone tops.
Crush introduced it as their flavor line in the mid to late 20's and it sold as simply OC ginger ale, OC-grape, and so on. By 1939 it was being advertised as Old Colony in the USA, I never ran across any earlier ads in Canada for Old Colony but O-C is mentioned in ads from 1925.

must of not been sold much in my area cause I never come across anything from them

only ever found 2 cans and maybe 1 or 2 bottles over the years

I think the can will clean up more , going to let it dry indoors for a bit before trying to clean it further

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah that's in really good shape for an outdoor flat top can, an acid bath should bring back most of the paint. I don't remember seeing that design before either.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah that's in really good shape for an outdoor flat top can, an acid bath should bring back most of the paint. I don't remember seeing that design before either.

seem to recall it was found semi hidden in the dirt or hidden by other cans on the hillside of that dump , it wasn't lying in the open

when I first found it wasn't even sure what brand it was for , could see it said lemon lime but it wasn't clear who it was from

embe

Reaction score
Interested in seeing the results. The amount of cans I left behind because they were rusty...thought the rust ate right through the paint and there was no point. I did keep a couple more recent finds since they were full of sand and roots which may have helped

hemihampton

Reaction score
That design of can is pictured in the soda book with $10 price. LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
That design of can is pictured in the soda book with $10 price. LEON.

i doubt its valuable in its current condition

is the can in the book a flat top version ? as this can also comes in a pull top those ones be a bit newer late 60's > 70's

hemihampton

Reaction score
Only 1 pictured in Book, Root Beer & it's a pull tab. I'd assume it came in many different flavors & in both flat & tab top. The cones are more Valuable. LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
Only 1 pictured in Book, Root Beer & it's a pull tab. I'd assume it came in many different flavors & in both flat & tab top. The cones are more Valuable. LEON.

according to the can museum site they had a number of flavours

- cola , cream soda , grape , ginger ale , lemon lime , orange , root beer

and none featured there are flat top , but i'd imagine all there flavours come in flat top and pull top cans

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora