Old Dirt in old bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

johnnyd620

Reaction score
[X(]I have found a lot of old bottles from my great great grand parents land and I am having trouble cleaning them. I have washed, boiled, and left them in water for days. Still I have dirt left in them. Im sure that these med. bottles are very old. Im just not getting interested in knowing about them, but I want to get them cleaned before I take a picture of them.

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
I use a bottle brush on my bottles and an old toothbrush for the smaller ones.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
Never boil the bottles,they will crack and somtimes explode...

If you just have dirt and no brushes,just use Hydro Peroxide,...or CLR/Limeaway,

or an old toothbrush and soap and water..........

bigkitty53

Reaction score
OK Johnny whatever you do stop boiling things. It has been my experience they get no more tender no matter how long you boil them.

Nice one Lobey![:D][:D][:D]

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
These is this cleaner named "Zyme here in the US,it might need a permit in other states to get but in NY you can get it at a Janatorial supply store"....
I used this stuff and plastic beads to clean befroe a tumbler,It worked as good as clorax,degreasers,mur acid "watch out with that stuff" or soap and water.....

but never mix and match chemicals either or youll end up brain dead....like me...lol

S.C. Warner

Reaction score
it happens out in Vegas, and it happens in Moline.
Great suggestions! I believe Idid use Zyme out on West Coast job once. Good stuff, if it's what i'm thinking.
Somethings I find work well and pretty inexpensive is the end of coat hanger wire wrapped around a piece of old tee-shirt. It gets down thru narrow openings and then you can give it the slight bend to reach stubborn stuff on sides. Good lighting and keeping a good grip is important. Also, B.B.'s for a BB gun work very well for really gunky stuff. Pour then into the bottle add moderately hot soapy water and shake the heck out of it. I used to open up the old man's shotgun shell's which he wasn't to happy about. But steel BB's are better anyway.[:)] Thanks for the tips, I'm giving the peroxide a try today.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
I've had really good luck with Household Amonia & Water.I let them soak for about 3 days,then use a bottle brush and wire hanger like SC was saying.
I wrap either a piece of metal pot sbrubber or SOS pad around it.I also use SOS for the outside which works well.
And I don't need gloves for this stuff.
I've tried all kinds of chemical mixes,some of them probably near lethal,but if I have to go it might as well be cleaning bottles.
Unless your slightly Brain Dead......................................

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28