Old Dr. Solomons Bitters - plus pontil geometric shards

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Still working the same slaughterhouse site. Got one good one today, thats for sure. Looks great on a post, looks like a jackpot, but if you knew the amount of effort/ digging underwater that went in to finding this one bottle, you'd be surprised.I have pulled at least 200 large broken pieces of china plates, bowls, cups and frags from the mud down there. I found several whole non keepers (unembossed super common), and a hand full of keepers today. But the good finds are few and far between. It's a great and fun site to dig, but it's not a "jackpot", where I'm pulling out great bottles one after another. Thats my only point. :]Here is a find of the day. It is mint and clean and doens't have a FLAKE even on it. It's about 9" tall, tooled lip, smooth based, with indented panels on the sides, embossed " OLD DR. SOLOMON'S = INDIAN WINE BITTERS"Also in the picture is a nice large size Rumfords, and a little DAVIDS US TREASURY ink bottle

Attachments

• 3345f1b1759b4687aab2e41f4882acdb.jpg
    3345f1b1759b4687aab2e41f4882acdb.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 152

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
The larger of these two shards I found 2 years ago. I was told it would have been a VERY good piece if it were whole. So from the site I am in now, I found this shard, which looks like it was the same form, also footed, with a similar geometric pattern and sharp pontil base, except this one looks like about half the size.I'm guessing it is not as good/rare as the larger one, which was a "celery bowl". This smaller one might have been a custard cup maybe? I dont think it was a salt, as it is very thin glass, and the salts I've seen are heavier glass.Anyways, maybe I'll get a whole one down there. Just glad to be out there diving and digging again. In the afternoon, my son Quincy and I checked out a pretty modern dump near our house. He found a mint milk bottle from North Hampton NH. It's not a rare one, but I'll sell it for him one Ebay if he wants.

Attachments

• e68da696eeb548ef8fcddd6894ee9caf.jpg
    e68da696eeb548ef8fcddd6894ee9caf.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 168

2find4me

Reaction score
HERE is some info on the Dr. Solomon Bottle.Your David's US Treasury Ink EBAYThe Bowl and Cup are very cool, but they are almost always broken because of the fragile thin glass.The smaller one looks like pressed glass.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac