Old Farm House Where is dump?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Alek77

Reaction score
We own another old farm house, and I am looking for the dump for it. I have made a map of the terrain features of the area and was wondering if you can tell me where on the map the dump may be.

A5262199C40C40E49A9BED9DBDD8FA6E.jpg

Attachments

• A5262199C40C40E49A9BED9DBDD8FA6E.jpg
    A5262199C40C40E49A9BED9DBDD8FA6E.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 68

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Alek
I would probe behind the rock wall on the left side , on the slope going down to the creek. Also, I would look for a privy or clean out hole behind the barn ( on the right side of the barn), you'd need to probe for it. I would also try down to the bottom right in your picture, where you wrote " old road", I would look on the RIGHT side of the road, especially behind any large boulders or rock walls. Good luck

glass man

Reaction score
DOWNEASTDIGGER gave some good places. Remember too, long ago they did not take the garbage along way off as they didn't have a lot of trash like we do today,some cans ,bottles,bout it. The outhouse should have been close to the house ,so look close around for it. I have found the trash dump right in the back yard of a house. GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND! If the creek ain't to deep take a gander in there,just cause it is fun to me to wade a creek and maybe for you,course it could have been they drinking water at one time and they probably would have thrown trash in it.

diggincajun

Reaction score
Look for the opening in the wall where they may have used to drive their buggy out to haul trash, it shouldn't be too far from that. Along the wall on the other side may have been a hole they dumped in.

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
I have noticed that the older sites will in general yield fewer bottles, and most are near the house. Often during such times, bottles were re-used until they were unusable; therefore many broken shards will be found along the nearest minor slope. A privy or under the porch may give you the only intact bottles of that period. On the other hand, more recent homes (1890-1920) started to understand the importance of sanitary conditions and bottles were more mass produced, so they could throw them away after use, usually farther away, sometimes even a mile away. Usually they are about a 1/4 mile away from big estates in a ravine. Many have already been dug by old-timers or hunters. Lastly, the time of occupancy of the house will give you an idea on the amount of bottles being dug. Judging from the rock walls, it sounds like an old site, so I would look for out-of-place shrubs or boxwoods in the woods. Probe or dig around them. Best of luck.

capsoda

Reaction score
Alek
I would probe behind the rock wall on the left side , on the slope going down to the creek. Also, I would look for a privy or clean out hole behind the barn ( on the right side of the barn), you'd need to probe for it. I would also try down to the bottom right in your picture, where you wrote " old road", I would look on the RIGHT side of the road, especially behind any large boulders or rock walls. Good luck

Bram

What Bram said but I would check both sides of the wall all the way around just to be safe. Different folks do different thing and some folks do weird things and check out the swamp area really good too. Actually looks like a gold mine waiting to be picked clean.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Alek,
I don't see a scale on your map. How far is that swamp from the house? I know if that layout was here in Michigan. I would look on the edge of the swamp, closest to the house, maybe in the corner of that stone hedgerow.
Let us know.
Bill

Alek77

Reaction score
Hey Druggistnut, the swamp is probably about 1 and a half or 2 acres behind the house.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
They had to dump the trash somewhere.It takes a while to locate a dump when the area is so large.Most of the older glass in (hidden).I look for gully's and hills that are over grown.Its a gamble, but a lot of times it pays off to uncover some over growth and check your suspicion's.If you come across a ton of glass on the surface,most of the time it is the newer dump.
I also try and imagine how far I would go to dump a load of smelly trash.Walk and explore its the only way to find it.

Check out the story "Three dumps on a hill" on my web page maybe it will help you.

jlandcastle83

Reaction score
i would look in the most useless area of the land, not too close but like everyone else said not far from the house. i have found dumps in the swamp areas u mentioned. also if it was a field on the map to the right when the house was in use. it very well could have been somewhere in that forest, but remember it would be in a area where they felt it was useless land. also check the edges of that creek, hope it helps
J

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac