Old hand written letter?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gdog68

Reaction score
I have been searching through my great grandmother's collections of letters and misc items, that she has been saving for a long time and had found what seems to be a old letter in a foreign language. German, I belive. I dont know what it says but it has a wax seal of some sort and is hand written in what looks to be pen and ink. Any help finding what this letter says would help in identifying
20230120_194248.jpg
20230120_194349.jpg
this item. Thanks

embe

Reaction score
Cool. I think you're right about German. Looks like some sort of Christening or Baptism certificate (don't know if there's official name for that type of document?)

Maybe someone else can translate. Ironically even my kids don't learn to read/write cursive anymore, let alone cursive in a different language, then translate to English, lol

gdog68

Reaction score
That's cool, I am trying to figure out how to translate the document. Maybe an app can do it but I am unsure if it will be accurate.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
This is the best I've been able to do without being able to speak German:
1674337534802.png

It roughly translates to:
"??? in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty Nine, on the Thirty-First of July, ??? the undersigned baptized Caroline Hild???, born ??? the eighteenth of March, One thousand eight hundred and fifty-eight - 1858 -, daughter of Mr. Heinrich Ferdinand Hild???, ??? ???, and his wife Mrs. Justine Caroline ???, née Reinhard.
[Godparents?] are Mr. Johann Reinhard and his wife Mrs. Amelia Reinhard.
So, ??? in this earthly baptismal registry.
Newark, N.J., U.S.A., the 8th of August 1859
No idea what's written at the end, I suspect it's a couple of names and/or titles.

gdog68

Reaction score
This is the best I've been able to do without being able to speak German:
View attachment 243155

It roughly translates to:
"??? in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty Nine, on the Thirty-First of July, ??? the undersigned baptized Caroline Hild???, born ??? the eighteenth of March, One thousand eight hundred and fifty-eight - 1858 -, daughter of Mr. Heinrich Ferdinand Hild???, ??? ???, and his wife Mrs. Justine Caroline ???, née Reinhard.
[Godparents?] are Mr. Johann Reinhard and his wife Mrs. Amelia Reinhard.
So, ??? in this earthly baptismal registry.
Newark, N.J., U.S.A., the 8th of August 1859
No idea what's written at the end, I suspect it's a couple of names and/or titles.
Thank you for the translation. I did a little research of my family history. Caroline was my great great great grandmother, and that's her baptism certificate when a year after she was born. I'm so glad my great grandmother collected so much family history stuff(buckets full). I can post some other cool documents I found if you want.

Reactions: Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi