Old Quack/ Snake Oil Medicines

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I love the full meds. The condition of the label is killer. Wonder what it tasted like?
Here is a full Babek for Malaria, Washington, DC.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Yes, and to keep those labels in good condition, you must close it away in a case. Old paper will absorb pollutants in the air and change color. And also the fact that dust will build up. Bugs can also leave waste on them.

BottleDiver94

Reaction score
Would like to see some of these bottles that others have collected. What are the weirdest sayings or claims that make you laugh or at least smile?
Mine is the Pre-Digested Food Co. bottle. I don't know what this bottle actually contained. Pine Apples were not well know in the US when these
bottles were made, so hopefully they did not contain what they claimed to contain.
So when it is pre-digested I presume it is a bottle of vomit. Such fun!

Old man digger

Reaction score
So when it is pre-digested I presume it is a bottle of vomit. Such fun!
Well, I see only two possibilities either that or the other way to gather that type of material!!! I have read some on this and I think the PINEAPPLE on the label gives it away. They (the pineapples) were not well know here in the US. until WWII. Its also said the users of this medication gained weight at an astounding rate!!! Thanks for the interest, and I am seeing some real gems on here now that people are posting photos of what they have in their collections.

Reaction score
Would like to see some of these bottles that others have collected. What are the weirdest sayings or claims that make you laugh or at least smile?
Mine is the Pre-Digested Food Co. bottle. I don't know what this bottle actually contained. Pine Apples were not well know in the US when these
bottles were made, so hopefully they did not contain what they claimed to contain.
All the many claims for CBD today remind me of the claims for various snake-oil remedies in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Both just seem a way to make a fast buck.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Here's a pair of dysentery treatments. Dysentery and cholera were killer diseases before antibiotics.
dysentery_pair.JPG

Old man digger

Reaction score
A few of the ones I have:
View attachment 231100

View attachment 231101
My favorite one. It's local and has many claims. I love the fact that it has the label for the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 which exposes its contents of 80% Alcohol, 3% Laudanum, and 6% Capsicum!!!

View attachment 231102

View attachment 231103
Great Bottles!! I have the Wild Cherry but its not as nice as yours. Mine has that nasty staining.
I was looking on line and stumbled across a category of some medicinal bottles. Then I found out that they were to be used for MEDICINAL purposes, but were actually bottles that contained whiskey and were produced during the PROHIBITION ERA. The ones I thought were the coolest were the bottles that were used by the Frankfort Distillery in Kentucky. They have spiders and spiders webs embossed in their glass. And there are variations in them that I could see without really looking into them with a magnifying glass.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu