Old, Really Old, Ancient, what the heck is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trccscott

Reaction score
Negative, Jim, I called in a favor for the appraisal. And am hoping the museum may take a look at this out of interest as well.

Heck, at its value, it is likely better off as a donation to them or another institution considering its historic and cool factor value probably outweighs its financial value.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: trccscott

Negative, Jim, I called in a favor for the appraisal. And am hoping the museum may take a look at this out of interest as well.

Heck, at its value, it is likely better off as a donation to them or another institution considering its historic and cool factor value probably outweighs its financial value.
I was only kidding and just got lucky, I had no clue....I agree about the value deal....Good luck no matter what you decide[;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
No way! Even if it's only worth what you paid it's still a keeper. The opportunity may not come up again.
I suppose you could wait for a nice fake on the bay for that price, they often do you know.

farmerdan

Reaction score
The day this was posted, I was in Manhattan at the Pompeii exhibit, eyeballing some beautiful 1st century Roman glass. Unbelievable exhibit - if you have the opportunity to visit NYC, I highly recommend it! Anyhows....this was the feeling I get from this piece. Wow - I would love to own something that old.....cool.

Farmer

katb

Reaction score
All i can say is WOW! Thats a neat bottle for a great price.....Kathy

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The value of $150-300 seems a bit low for something of this age, but then again what do I know? Maybe Roman glass and this exact piece is fairly common

The value sounds about right for good late (3rd to 4th century AD) unguentarium bottles. These are quite common but have a much different form than your bottle (smaller and simpler). Your appraiser didnt specify AD vs BC which makes a huge difference. I assume they meant AD. I would expect a Roman glass item that large and atypical from the 1st century BC would be worth much more than $150. Assuming that's what it really is.
Age alone does not imply great value. You can buy common roman bronze coins for a dime a piece these days.
Keep showing it around , sometimes it takes a while to get at the truth.
I would expect that an expert who knows what they are talking about can show you photos of a comparible piece.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac