Old well?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bmish55

Reaction score
On our land we have an old well with a windmill above it, so we know it is a water well. We have another stone ring that looks like another well, but in the side has a metal grate built in. Is this a water well or something else? Is outhouse site? Here is what it looks like inside and a pic of the metal grate. Thought maybe someone who does a lot of bottle digging would know what i am looking at.

Attachments

• 20191104_134704.jpg
    20191104_134704.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 20191104_134525.jpg
    20191104_134525.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 126

Bmish55

Reaction score
Looks like a well, not sure what would be in it if still full of water. I dug a 15 feet deep Well before that was filled to top with dirt, AND some old Bottles like Cobalt Blue Hutch's. LEON.

View attachment 214467
Cool picture! I was leaning more towards well rather than outhouse. It's just that metal grate that was throwing me since the other well doesn't have one. Makes me wonder what its function is.

swpender

Reaction score
Cool picture! I was leaning more towards well rather than outhouse. It's just that metal grate that was throwing me since the other well doesn't have one. Makes me wonder what its function is.

Keeps the critters out and prevents small loved ones from falling in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
They would not have put an outhouse next to the well for sanitary reasons. If you know where the back door of the home was/is they were usually straight out from the door on the property. Depending on how large the property was (and how cold the winters get) sort of determine how far away from the home it would be located. For fragrance reasons not too close.

Bmish55

Reaction score
The well with the windmill still on it is very far away from this one. This one is closer to a pond. I wish i knew for sure if there was a house on the property. I haven't found any remains of one but haven't looked any harder than just on the surface.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
The well with the windmill still on it is very far away from this one. This one is closer to a pond. I wish i knew for sure if there was a house on the property. I haven't found any remains of one but haven't looked any harder than just on the surface.
If there is no house and if there is dumping it would have been like a trash ditch. There would have been no need for an outhouse. It sounds like the wells were not used for debris.

Bmish55

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is probably true. In the 5 years we've owned the land, it has always been full of water so we may never see the bottom! Lol. Still a neat little feature. Maybe that grate is simply for water overflow.

Venor_Thesaurus

Reaction score
Try using

You can pull up old maps using your address. Aerial photos only go so far back, but also some of the scanned topo maps will show approximate locations of structures.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Bmish55

Reaction score
Thanks! I think those are the same photos i have looked at on the counties GIS map. I don't think i see any buildings, but some of the photos are pretty rough. So rough that i have a hard time seeing the wells that i know are there. Oddly enough though, a little airplane is in one of the old photos.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky