older looking Corked bottle found in embankment

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I poked around the hillside a lot but only made a couple of finds , there is for sure broken plates there I checked them and could see markings / colour but there badly damaged

only found 3 bottles , 2 were broken .

a large corked bottle - amber in colour ( no markings or names )

a small corked bottle - clear ( no embossing , only a number on bottom )

a small aqua colour - Northrop & Lyman - Toronto Ont / Dr S N Thomas Eclectric Oil

also found some thin metal strips which didn't appear to be part of anything

20210510_100105.jpg
20210510_100110.jpg
20210510_103415.jpg
20210510_105226.jpg

willong

Reaction score
I would consider that "Electric Oil" bottle alone worth the effort. Even if it is a common product in Canada, that's a nice (post 1876, but prior to 1910 I would guess) example.

As an American, I find it interesting that a "patent medicine" endured in production into the 1960's. Thanks for posting.

There is quite the selection of advertising ephemera related to the product listed on eBay. This might interest you: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw...55-0&campid=5337590777&customid=&toolid=10001

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
I would consider that "Electric Oil" bottle alone worth the effort. Even if it is a common product in Canada, that's a nice (post 1876, but prior to 1910 I would guess) example.

As an American, I find it interesting that a "patent medicine" endured in production into the 1960's. Thanks for posting.

There is quite the selection of advertising ephemera related to the product listed on eBay. This might interest you: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw...55-0&campid=5337590777&customid=&toolid=10001

its a neat little bottle even if it is common here

do plan to go back there and try poking around again before the end of this week , worried that location might be very bad for bugs soon as it borders a small creek / trees

not really sure what a small farm would of tossed away here back then , my goal would be to find a local item although usually you'd just find common products and unmarked jars / bottles . the likely hood and there being at least a few more bottles in that area is worth another poke around

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find on the eclectric oil! Even if it's one of the most common patent medicines yours is a nice looking example. Hopefully there's more there! I know these farm dumps aren't always that productive though, it seems like a lot of the time they just didn't throw away all that much stuff until the 40s or so.

RCO

Reaction score
Nice find on the eclectric oil! Even if it's one of the most common patent medicines yours is a nice looking example. Hopefully there's more there! I know these farm dumps aren't always that productive though, it seems like a lot of the time they just didn't throw away all that much stuff until the 40s or so.

this dump does have a different feel than 40's or 50's era dumps , not near the volume

still neat to be poking thru one that has the potential to yield something much older and different than I'm used to finding , everything so far been corked bottle / older style

Newfie treasure hunter

Reaction score
the Northrop & Lyman Toronto Ont / eclectric oil bottle Is in good condition , I'm not exactly sure when they used this version but it looks early , seen them before but never dug one ,

View attachment 224996View attachment 224997View attachment 224998View attachment 224999
I'm thinking the outskirts of a dump. Look for rocks sticking out because if it was a farm there should be spoils from when they took rocks outta the farmland. Im not shure if this applies to there, but that's what I find a lot in nl. Hope this helps!

RCO

Reaction score
went back and continued poking around the area , wasn't finding a lot if anything most of the time

did find a few things worth noting , more metal pieces which seem out of place and wonder if they were originally attached to wood

I checked out the broken plates some more , is a couple different ones in various areas , far too damaged to make out much , one does have a mark on bottom that says made in England , as most of the settlers here from England that makes sense for them to bring old china/dishes from home

found 1 area that had a couple old metal cans and an odd metal piece that looks like a lid maybe ? also found a possible small glass jar with a metal lid

only found 1 bottle and it was broken , an aqua coloured bottle similar to other but for another product . I was able to id it as being a " FC Hagyard Chemist " bottle , he made some sort of medical oil product which was sold in Ontario / Canada

20210511_130621.jpg
20210511_143639.jpg
DSC03833.JPG
DSC03835.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
I'm thinking the outskirts of a dump. Look for rocks sticking out because if it was a farm there should be spoils from when they took rocks outta the farmland. Im not shure if this applies to there, but that's what I find a lot in nl. Hope this helps!

it has be confused , its a steep embankment along a busy road

basically - Road > some trees > embankment ( sandy few rocks ) > small creek

someone also cut down a large Hemlock tree years ago and its lying at the bottom of the embankment , not sure why they cut it down and just left it there , its in the way of a prime area to check

plan to take a break from this one for now , could always check it again in the fall if I come up with any new ideas

Newfie treasure hunter

Reaction score
it has be confused , its a steep embankment along a busy road

basically - Road > some trees > embankment ( sandy few rocks ) > small creek

someone also cut down a large Hemlock tree years ago and its lying at the bottom of the embankment , not sure why they cut it down and just left it there , its in the way of a prime area to check

plan to take a break from this one for now , could always check it again in the fall if I come up with any new ideas
Check after the next big rain storm. Might help uncover some glass or other indicators of a dump.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch