Oldest coin found with metal magnet so far

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
just pulled this coin out of a nearby lake the other day , many Canadian coins are magnetic but some aren't , some older nickels are as there made of nickel so the ones from the 20's - 40's are but i don't find them that often , ones from 50's - 70's are also magnetic and find them more often . usually find more modern coins such as dimes/ quarters made after 1967 as the earlier ones are silver and not magnetic

but found an old nickel , has the " Canada , FIVE 5 CENTS " design which was only used from 1922-36 , so it has to date from that period , a couple years ago found a similar nickel in same lake from 1931 but i think this one is a bit earlier but really having trouble reading the date , think it might be 1928

the pictures aren't that great , fairly dirty on the front , back shows king george but has alot of damage

DSC04892.JPG
DSC04893.JPG

embe

Reaction score
nice find, I'd be happy with that

texkev

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
nice find

RCO

Reaction score
went back and found 2 more nickels both from 70's , one extremely damaged , other almost a silver colour but nothing else

Leep1660

Reaction score
Nice detecting, in midland I metal detected the shoreline/wharfs last year finding many american coins but hardly Canadian coins, must of been durning the summer more Americans on the waterfront than Canadians from the steamships landing from Chicago, etc.

NuGrape Kid

Reaction score
just pulled this coin out of a nearby lake the other day , many Canadian coins are magnetic but some aren't , some older nickels are as there made of nickel so the ones from the 20's - 40's are but i don't find them that often , ones from 50's - 70's are also magnetic and find them more often . usually find more modern coins such as dimes/ quarters made after 1967 as the earlier ones are silver and not magnetic

but found an old nickel , has the " Canada , FIVE 5 CENTS " design which was only used from 1922-36 , so it has to date from that period , a couple years ago found a similar nickel in same lake from 1931 but i think this one is a bit earlier but really having trouble reading the date , think it might be 1928

the pictures aren't that great , fairly dirty on the front , back shows king george but has alot of damage

View attachment 237985View attachment 237986
Just an FYI: Actually, the correct term for your coin is "ferrous", meaning "made of or containing iron". Magnetic refers to the property of magnets that causes iron to be attracted to them and any iron object can be magnetized. Nickel, the metal, is non-ferrous and therefore not attracted to magnets. Nickels (5 cent coins), however do not have to be made of Nickle, ( U.S. nickles are exceptions) and often contain iron. This includes Canadian coins.

IF coins were "magnetic" they would attract each other and stick together. They would also stick to anything with sufficient iron content, like your car and be a real pain in the butt...LOL

Reactions: Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky