olive green blackglass threadless ID?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BillinMo

Reaction score
Red, the bottom photo shows there is a pinhole so I don't think this is a warming pour. If it was, I wouldn't expect to see the impression of the plunger on the bottom and it would be a solid piece of glass with a flat bottom, like the left side of this photo: http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=11567899 Other warming pours have an excess of glass forming an extra "pedestal" like this example: http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=1166660

Now that I think of it, the glass worker would have had to bring the plunger up to temperature too, wouldn't he? Maybe you have some information on how they might have done that?

BillinMo

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: diggerdirect

Hi BillinMo, thanks for the information! After Danslata pointed me in the right direction I was able to narrow it down alittle. The 740.1 I seen on the net looked right except for a flat base? This piece has a ring around the outer edge but I suppose different base designs did occur in the same CD number?

These 'CD' numbers seem pretty hard to figure out to a non insulator guy! lol.

Thankyou for any information,

Al

Yes, it certainly takes a while to get the knack of identifying CDs! Just as a general principle, the main things to look at are number of skirts and exterior profile. The idea is to form a group of insulators representing the same concept interpreted by various glass makers over a long period of time. Base type can vary quite a bit, so that usually isn't considered.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
BillinMo Thanks for the references to other pictures. I couldn’t see where the hole went in deep enough. I noticed that someone asked about heating the plungers, but that part needed cooling if anything. I was involved making IS-62 jar plungers with internal cast cooling fins. I also started making cooler tubes for inside the plungers, out of Eagle Brand Oil Can Spouts. When the Glass Making machines were speed up they had to go to 100# air pressure and the Oil Can Spouts split with that pressure inside them. Then we made swagged cooler tubes and my company Glisco, made them available to the North American glass companies in different sizes and lengths. Now the glass industry has cut back too far to keep the company in operation. Thanks again for your comeback. RED Matthews

BillinMo

Reaction score
Red - that's very interesting. You're a wealth of info! Thanks.

Al - I looked it up. It's listed in the current (2011) book as CD 740.1, unembossed Canadian. Olive green blackglass lists at 500-600.

143Tallboy

Reaction score
diggerdirect: That is a beauty and the condition is top notch. I love the crudity in that one and the tilted dome is very cool. I can verify it's a 740.1, the ring below the wire groove is the clincher.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp