One of the nicest inks I've ever seen

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's threads like these (and attitudes like this) that drove many of the long-time collectors off this site unfortunately. Those few of us who remain spend precious time responding to threads like this in an attempt to educate people on our hobby. It's disappointing to hear something is a reproduction/modern fantasy and I understand that, but we've all been in that boat and have had to accept that fact from time to time.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
It's threads like these (and attitudes like this) that drove many of the long-time collectors off this site unfortunately. Those few of us who remain spend precious time responding to threads like this in an attempt to educate people on our hobby. It's disappointing to hear something is a reproduction/modern fantasy and I understand that, but we've all been in that boat and have had to accept that fact from time to time.

Let's face it Nhpharm, we respond because we have too much time on our hands... LOL!

We get a lot of new folks trying to learn on here... I'd say more than I see on the facebook forums that I'm on where lots of folks from here fled to. It's nice to be able to try and guide new folks to the extent we have the knowledge. Besides, stuff comes up on here that I've never seen before and that's always learning for me.

Jim G

Shades of History

Reaction score
It was made overseas, they don't even try to make it look real. They had someone make a garbage bottle mold with poorly formed seams and make it a pretty color. That's just what they do in a third world country. Technology is behind.
It's really hard to tell apart experts from amateurs just spitting out the first thing that comes to mind in this forum unfortunately. If you want to really settle the debate your should email a picture of the bottle to one of the major American bottle auction houses (Hecklers, Glassworks, American Bottle Auction). They will tell you if it's real or not. Please don't be one of those ignorant fools who thinks they know better than the experts.
I don't think I know better than experts, and I don't consider myself one. I have a modest/moderate amount of knowledge about bottles, but I'm admittedly far from an expert. I just don't think every single person who spouts off on a forum is an expert either necessarily, no offense. That's why I've been neutral about it because I see evidence for both a "fantasy bottle" and a small window of possibility for a turn of the century semi-automatic machine made bottle. You are right though. I do not assume I'll get a definitive answer here or from my own limited research. I may actually consult a genuine expert on this some time, and if I do, I will certainly share my finding whether its legit or fantasy so we can all learn. I honestly don't care as much if this is real as just knowing the truth for the sake of learning, but that needs to be an objective answer not either "I wish its real so its real" or somebody else just shooting it down as crap before they even do research or know for certain...so yeah, will probably need to consult an actual expert to figure out for sure.

I don't have much invested in this bottle. I literally just want to see some objectivity and real evidence on the side of those saying it isn't real. I really think if one goes back and looks through the thread, I've been pretty neutral and objective, while some have been very dismissive and gung-ho/insistent it's not real, without really providing much objective evidence for their assertion. I really don't think I'm the one being stubborn, or the one displaying any kind of attitude here. I'm not the one on some ego trip, I'm just looking to actually learn and enjoy the hobby here, not get talked to dismissively and then chastised with some snobbish platitude about how I think I know better than experts.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, it's not my intent. I was pretty chill and then the claws started coming out here for no reason. Please don't be so snobbish and dismissive. You come off as rather toxic, whether or not that is your intent, and I really have a low tolerance for bullies and trolls.

Last edited:

Oldsdigger

Reaction score
Very nice assortment of inks beautiful colors thanks for sharing
Thanks Nickneff ! Most of the others I have are Carter's Bixby's and Sanfords. Most of the Whittles were from my Dad who liked antiquing and would give me a few every Christmas and Birthdays.
DSC_2141.JPG

Attachments

• Inks.jpg
    Inks.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 103

Shades of History

Reaction score
Thanks Nickneff ! Most of the others I have are Carter's Bixby's and Sanfords. Most of the Whittles were from my Dad who liked antiquing and would give me a few every Christmas and Birthdays. View attachment 219379
Those are sweet! The slanted/rhombus cobalt one and the milk glass are really neat. I haven't seen anything like either of them.

Oldsdigger

Reaction score
I don't think I know better than experts, and I don't consider myself one. I have a modest/moderate amount of knowledge about bottles, but I'm admittedly far from an expert. I just don't think every single person who spouts off on a forum is an expert either necessarily, no offense. That's why I've been neutral about it because I see evidence for both a "fantasy bottle" and a small window of possibility for a turn of the century semi-automatic machine made bottle. You are right though. I do not assume I'll get a definitive answer here or from my own limited research. I may actually consult a genuine expert on this some time, and if I do, I will certainly share my finding whether its legit or fantasy so we can all learn. I honestly don't care as much if this is real as just knowing the truth for the sake of learning, but that needs to be an objective answer not either "I wish its real so its real" or somebody else just shooting it down as crap before they even do research or know for certain...so yeah, will probably need to consult an actual expert to figure out for sure.

I don't have much invested in this bottle. I literally just want to see some objectivity and real evidence on the side of those saying it isn't real. I really think if one goes back and looks through the thread, I've been pretty neutral and objective, while some have been very dismissive and gung-ho/insistent it's not real, without really providing much objective evidence for their assertion. I really don't think I'm the one being stubborn, or the one displaying any kind of attitude here. I'm not the one on some ego trip, I'm just looking to actually learn and enjoy the hobby here, not get talked to dismissively and then chastised with some snobbish platitude about how I think I know better than experts.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, it's not my intent. I was pretty chill and then the claws started coming out here for no reason. Please don't be so snobbish and dismissive. You come off as rather toxic, whether or not that is your intent, and I really have a low tolerance for bullies and trolls.
Very well stated Shades of History, I also don't consider myself any where near an expert. Since I truthfully haven't been involved in the hobby since the late 80's, when I used to dig for bottles. These days I only buy for the joy of some new ones !

saratogadriver

Reaction score
II may actually consult a genuine expert on this some time, and if I do, I will certainly share my finding whether its legit or fantasy so we can all learn.

I believe my earlier posts were very neutral, and attempted to show some humor while at the same time giving an honest assessment. But I saw this little piece in the middle of your statement above and it touched a nerve.

I picked this piece of your statement for a reason. You assume you aren't talking to experts. At various times there have been big time collectors (as in $100000 bitters collectors), dealers ( people like Jeff Noordsy who routinely handles some of the rarest stuff, particularly New England early glass), and even a couple of guys who worked in the glass industry on here.

As far as experts on ink, I've been collecting ink bottles since 1990, and my father since the 1970s. Hopefully the pic of some of my collection will give you an idea that I may have a few of the things. Dad's collection, which will some day merge with mine, is larger than my collection. I Also have Covill's book and more recently Faulkner's 2nd edition, which are the current definitive authorities on inks. I don't have Lucy Faulkner's book right in front of me, but I'm pretty sure your ink is shown as a known reproduction.

It's a pretty piece but it's not a turn of the century abm bottle, nor is it something older. The color, the clarity, the form are all inconsistent with TOC abm, when the new machines were in their infancy and the abm bottles were fairly crude. The umbrella form is almost non-existent after the ABM machines came in. For some reason they basically stopped making them. So any ABM umbrella type is immediately suspect to begin with.

It's a known reproduction.

Jim G

Attachments

• ink collection.jpg
    ink collection.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 106

yacorie

Reaction score
I believe my earlier posts were very neutral, and attempted to show some humor while at the same time giving an honest assessment. But I saw this little piece in the middle of your statement above and it touched a nerve.

I picked this piece of your statement for a reason. You assume you aren't talking to experts. At various times there have been big time collectors (as in $100000 bitters collectors), dealers ( people like Jeff Noordsy who routinely handles some of the rarest stuff, particularly New England early glass), and even a couple of guys who worked in the glass industry on here.

As far as experts on ink, I've been collecting ink bottles since 1990, and my father since the 1970s. Hopefully the pic of some of my collection will give you an idea that I may have a few of the things. Dad's collection, which will some day merge with mine, is larger than my collection. I Also have Covill's book and more recently Faulkner's 2nd edition, which are the current definitive authorities on inks. I don't have Lucy Faulkner's book right in front of me, but I'm pretty sure your ink is shown as a known reproduction.

It's a pretty piece but it's not a turn of the century abm bottle, nor is it something older. The color, the clarity, the form are all inconsistent with TOC abm, when the new machines were in their infancy and the abm bottles were fairly crude. The umbrella form is almost non-existent after the ABM machines came in. For some reason they basically stopped making them. So any ABM umbrella type is immediately suspect to begin with.

It's a known reproduction.

Jim G

have you ever seen a milk glass burst top ink? I acquired one last year or two years ago and I swear I’ve seen one before in-old auction catalogue or reference but have struck out finding it.

now I’m wondering if it’s an ink at all

RelicRaker

Reaction score
I've learned so much here, and abt inks in particular.
And I've gotta say, you guys deliver bad news pretty well.

I recently joined a members-only button collecting group on Facebook to help ID a few Victorian era buttons that have popped up in my bottle digs over the past few years.I posted pix, and several members were quick to tell me how utterly worthless the buttons I'd found were. LOL

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu