Ongoing bottle finds at cannery site need help identifying daily!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
Coca-Cola find
Code reads IR 45
no other marks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 330

willong

Reaction score
It’s pretty remote where I’m at I don’t have any worries only the commercial fishermen steal from the dig sometimes. Which is a big No-No because the tide land is private property. My Granpa came up here homesteading before statehood from Montana. He was a potato farmer that how my dad’s side of the family wound up here. If you really want to hunt polar bear I hear it’s still legal if you go through Canada but it cost $$$$$$. If the homestead act was still in effect I would be homesteading but it was before my time as I’m 22.

I haven't stayed on top of the issues since leaving Alaska in 1970. I thumbed my way down the Alcan Highway in Spring (April if I recall correctly) of 1970 in response to a demand from Uncle Sam. While I have since heard that one can file a "homestead" upon 40 acres of land for recreational purposes, the native land claims finished off the original homestead act, which provided for 160-acre agricultural claims. I think the world, and the American spirit in particular, really needs a new frontier. Unfortunately, there is no near-term prospect. Perhaps your grandchildren might have the opportunity to pioneer new worlds--I hope so.

The $$$$$$ have usually eliminated me from seriously considering a polar bear hunt. I got along well with natives while attending the UofA. My hope at the time was to develop one of those relationships into an opportunity to hunt in a largely traditional manner out on the ice floes--I had no desire to spot a bear from the air, land and shoot. I recently signed papers that should culminate in the sale of my Kalispell property by late August. If the sale closes, I suppose I could reevaluate Polar bear hunting prospects; but the cost is still likely too high to justify. A Stone sheep hunt in BC or the Yukon would be more likely.

I have enjoyed our discussion. I hope other forum members won't be upset by the off-subject tangent. I do intend to respond further to your original posting. However, I need to dig out and photograph a couple pertinent bottles--a "Heep Good" ACL and an A.L. VAN VALEY slug-plate--before I do so.

Regards,

Will

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
I have no clue
all 4 bottles have a somewhat different look and design , I'm assuming Fox was one of the larger bottlers in Seattle area ? although a city that size in the era ( 20's - 30's ) would of had many different smaller bottlers before the bigger brands took over

its not uncommon for property owners to not be interested in bottle digging , lots of times people give permission to others to dig
I have no clue if they were a large bottler but it seems at least 80% of the bottles I dig are from Washington.
the more Art Deco bottles I think are 20s-30s and the straight one is from the 40s but I’m not positive.

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
I haven't stayed on top of the issues since leaving Alaska in 1970. I thumbed my way down the Alcan Highway in Spring (April if I recall correctly) of 1970 in response to a demand from Uncle Sam. While I have since heard that one can file a "homestead" upon 40 acres of land for recreational purposes, the native land claims finished off the original homestead act, which provided for 160-acre agricultural claims. I think the world, and the American spirit in particular, really needs a new frontier. Unfortunately, there is no near-term prospect. Perhaps your grandchildren might have the opportunity to pioneer new worlds--I hope so.

The $$$$$$ have usually eliminated me from seriously considering a polar bear hunt. I got along well with natives while attending the UofA. My hope at the time was to develop one of those relationships into an opportunity to hunt in a largely traditional manner out on the ice floes--I had no desire to spot a bear from the air, land and shoot. I recently signed papers that should culminate in the sale of my Kalispell property by late August. If the sale closes, I suppose I could reevaluate Polar bear hunting prospects; but the cost is still likely too high to justify. A Stone sheep hunt in BC or the Yukon would be more likely.

I have enjoyed our discussion. I hope other forum members won't be upset by the off-subject tangent. I do intend to respond further to your original posting. However, I need to dig out and photograph a couple pertinent bottles--a "Heep Good" ACL and an A.L. VAN VALEY slug-plate--before I do so.

Regards,

Will

It would be a great boon to this country and the state if some of the federal land and state land was opened to the public for sale or grant like the homestead act. Instead of a PFD providing money I wish the Govt. would use PFD to sell land instead to diversify our state economy by encouraging small businesses. I’ve always been attracted to the idea of hunting a seal on the ice. Honestly polar bears are so large they terrify me a bit even though I’ve never seen one in real life before. I wish you luck on the sale of your property. I would recommend also if you enjoy bird hunting sand hill crane (rib eye of the sky) are legal to hunt in Alaska and quite a good time. If you would like to converse more I’m happy to in private messages.

regards,
Tristan

RCO

Reaction score
I have no clue

I have no clue if they were a large bottler but it seems at least 80% of the bottles I dig are from Washington.
the more Art Deco bottles I think are 20s-30s and the straight one is from the 40s but I’m not positive.

do you think its possible the people who worked at the cannery were from Washington state ? maybe came up north to run it than went back home by winter and obviously left a lot of trash behind

most art deco bottles are 20's - 30's era although a lot of bottles were still using embossed bottles similar to art deco bottles into the 40's and 50's but the main period they were used was 20's - 30's

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
SODA WATER
PROPERTY OF COCA COLA BOTTLING CO. CON. 6 FL. OZ.

base reads:
PATENTED JUNE 1, 1926 1275 EG27

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 315

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
do you think its possible the people who worked at the cannery were from Washington state ? maybe came up north to run it than went back home by winter and obviously left a lot of trash behind

most art deco bottles are 20's - 30's era although a lot of bottles were still using embossed bottles similar to art deco bottles into the 40's and 50's but the main period they were used was 20's - 30's
A vast majority of the people in Alaska came up from Washington. Washington benefited greatly by the lack of infrastructure in Alaska and as most of the steamship hubs to Alaska were in Seattle many generations of Washingtonians worked in the canneries and salteries up here. In fact my mother came up here from Washington to work in the canneries in Seward, Ak. Another interesting tidbit of information apparently for ferry freight the company charged by the pound so I doubt bottles would have been making the trip back to the continental U.S. unless they were being used as ballast.

RCO

Reaction score
A vast majority of the people in Alaska came up from Washington. Washington benefited greatly by the lack of infrastructure in Alaska and as most of the steamship hubs to Alaska were in Seattle many generations of Washingtonians worked in the canneries and salteries up here. In fact my mother came up here from Washington to work in the canneries in Seward, Ak. Another interesting tidbit of information apparently for ferry freight the company charged by the pound so I doubt bottles would have been making the trip back to the continental U.S. unless they were being used as ballast.

that makes sense , they would of brought a lot of supplies and such with them when they came north but not taken back empty bottles cause it be too expensive , so a lot of bottles from Washington state made a one way journey to Alaska never to be seen again

that coca cola soda water bottle is fairly common in the US , they didn't seem to use it in Canada but I'm pretty sure it was used a lot in the US , some have city names on them too

willong

Reaction score
It would be a great boon to this country and the state if some of the federal land and state land was opened to the public for sale or grant like the homestead act. Instead of a PFD providing money I wish the Govt. would use PFD to sell land instead to diversify our state economy by encouraging small businesses. I’ve always been attracted to the idea of hunting a seal on the ice. Honestly polar bears are so large they terrify me a bit even though I’ve never seen one in real life before. I wish you luck on the sale of your property. I would recommend also if you enjoy bird hunting sand hill crane (rib eye of the sky) are legal to hunt in Alaska and quite a good time. If you would like to converse more I’m happy to in private messages.

regards,
Tristan

Hi Tristan,

I'd be happy to correspond further--though I'd probably do so somewhat haphazzardly until I get closer to caught-up on other tasks--is there a private massage function within this forum's site? I also participate on the "MT Unlimited" thread (related to Bighorn sheep hunting in Montana's unlimited permit areas) of Hunt Talk forum, and I'm familiar with "Conversations," which is a private message function there. You might find that thread interesting if you have ever contemplated hunting Bighorn sheep on a DIY basis. The odds are stacked against the hunter, but neither a tag draw nor hiring of a guide/outfitter are required. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/mt-unlimited.265075/

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1989, I had hopes that some Russian politician would institute policies similar to those than led to the rapid 19th century development of the USA. Russia sits upon vast natural resources, and opportunities for entrepreneurs would abound under a system which offered incentives for enterprising individuals. Unfortunately, the country has never benefited by an entrepreneurial mindset; and it is rife with corruption that stifles efforts of such if they are unprepared to lavishly grease palms.

"Rib eye of the sky" is an intriguing term that I don't think I've encountered before. I've seen Sand Hill cranes in the Milk River area of Montana--they're impressive birds. You've got me considering another adventure now.

Regards,

Will

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
PAT’D
JULY 20,1920
ORANGE
,CRUSH
6FLOZ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg