Oops. I did it again.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
(My appologies to anyone who has a Brittany Spears song running through their head).

I went diving late in the day today and drew unwanted attention to myself.

As you know, it gets dark earlier this time of year. I wanted to dive in the morning, but I had an obligation. Then my wife asked me to pick up our son from school. She didn't get home until an hour or so later. I still wanted to rush out to squeeze one tank in. (The opportunites to dive are winding down). When I arrived at the lake, it was already fairly late. There was a pretty sunset coming very soon. No way I was backing out now. I was there. I was ready and I've dived in worse.

Throughout the dive, the ambient light at the bottom gradually decreased. By the end, I could only see slight differences in shades of black between say a rock and the silty bottom. I could, however, see my gages fairly well as they have a luminescence to them. I took my tank down to 500 and called it quits.

It was a nice swim back with calm water and the wonderful fall scent of someone burning leaves along the shoreline. When I approached shore, I immediately saw the trouble. There were emergency flashing lights in the road where I had parked. About a half dozen firemen and a sherif's deouty were waiting for me at shore. Oops.

The very nice people (who let me park at the house) had seen me go out and became worried when I hadn't returned at dusk. They called the police.

I climbed up out of the water and they took my information. I was pleasantly surprised that the firemen very very nice. I appologized several times for making them come out after me. They informed me that they had dragged the body of a diver out of the water from the same property about 15 years ago. I did not know that (and they didn't tell me the name of the person who had died). There were several divers in the group and they asked about what I found and seemed generally pretty knowledgable about bottles. One told me that he had found a hutchinson soda with a paper ticket from a train inside it that dated to the 1890s. Very neat. The sheriff offered to help me with my gear but I told him that I could manage, he didn't need to get all wet and slimey.

Several neighbors had seen the commotion and came out to see if I was allright. (I know many of them from diving there so often). It was nice that everyone was so worried about me, but I do regret that emergency crews were called out (when there could have been a real emergency). Next time, I'll make sure that I have a light with me if I'm out after dark . . .

RedGinger

Reaction score
Yes, now that song is in my head lol. At least your wife didn't know. I'd be worried to death. That's a neat story about the bottle with the train ticket. They should have some kind of set-up where you check in or something. Did you find anything?

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Wow, that must've been no fun... I'd have put on my best sheep face and got out of there as fast as possible, to try not to take up any more of their time... I second the request for complete disclosure of any and all finds you may have had!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
At least your wife didn't know.

Oh my gosh Laur,
If they would have called my wife to inform her that I had gone missing underwater, I would have been a dead man for real (when I returned home). It's a good thing they didn't. My wife knows me and she trusts that I know what I'm doing (and that I have the skills to get out of trouble) - but that would have really scared her.

I did find a few bottles. Nothing spectacular, but I can't complain. Conditions weren't the best diving in the dark and I landed a few. I got one (fairly common) hutchinson and a few crowns. I'll post pics a bit later if I get the chance.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'd have put on my best sheep face and got out of there as fast as possible
I really didn't have to rush off. First, they were very nice to me. The firemen showed me their set-up of first class dive gear (ready to go) in the back of the fire-truck in case of emergency. The truck even has its own compressor to fill tanks anywhere anytime. Pretty impressive! Here's a shout out to the Delafield Fire Department and the Waukesha county sheriff. Thanks guys!

Secondly, since I was telling the neighbors that I was allright, it took me longer than normal to get out of there. The emergency crews had all left before I got my wet suit off. I think it helped my cause a little bit that everyone around seemed to know me.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Joe. You know, maybe they had been the ones who had called the police 15 years ago and their experience made them a bit worried?? I assured him later that I was safe (and I kind- of wish he hadn't called) but you're right, it was nice in one way that they were concerned.

surfaceone

Reaction score
The very nice people (who let me park at the house) had seen me go out and became worried when I hadn't returned at dusk. They called the police.

Bad, Bob, bad,

I think ya gotta take it as a high compliment. They were genuinely concerned for your safety. You made some new friends (I hope) in the DFD and Sheriff's Dept., got some bottles, to boot. Did you enlighten the bride?

This is the best cop / rescue encounter I've read on here in quite awhile, even if we didn't get to see any bottles or blue lights, yet...[8D]

kval-police_lights_night.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Surfaceone,
I did tell my wife that I had an encounter with the rescue squad, yes. I did not get the names of anyone specifically on the department - but I guess I know where to find them. I might wait a week or two and then send them a nice little card.

I can't find my camera tonight. I went to Lambeau field to see the Packers on Sunday and I misplaced it somewhere. Once I get my hands on it, I'll post some pics. I had nine pieces of glass in total, one cheapo pair of sunglasses and an oar mounting thing for a row boat.

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

It was a nice swim back with calm water and the wonderful fall scent of someone burning leaves along the shoreline.

This is what I love the best about this forum! I feel the passion. Thanks for sharing Bob.

oh and you making it back safely![;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac