Open pontil Powell's American Liniment

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tom smith

Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago but the question did not really get answered. Bur here is the description copied from the first post. I'm posting this for a buddy of mine. This was the first hole he ever dug. The story he told me is that an old civil war trench ran through his backyard. He said he dug six feet down to find the trench line and then somehow found this pit. He said there were about 6 bottles in the pit. This was the only one with embossing and there was only one other one with an open pontil. I find it a bit weird that he did not find a single 3 ringer but maybe he did not look hard. He has found over 200 bottles alone on his property. He also found a super rare blob a will post here soon. I don't know anything about the value or info on the bottle its self. I can't find any info about it online so if you know anything please let me know. I also thought I would add this info. He told me that Abraham Lincoln advertised for its use for union soldiers during the war. He was offered 500 for it a few years ago but he thinks it is worth $1000.

Thank you
Tom smith

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPEG
    IMG_1598.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1599.JPEG
    IMG_1599.JPEG
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1601 (1).JPEG
    IMG_1601 (1).JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1600.JPEG
    IMG_1600.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 160

nhpharm

Reaction score
One sold in American Glass Gallery's Auction 24 in 2019. Their description was as follows:

Lot 246 “POWELL’S - AMERICAN / LINIMENT”, America, 1850 - 1860. Aquamarine, cylindrical, sheared, tooled and inward rolled lip - blowpipe pontil scar, ht. 3 ¾”, very near mint; (slight touch light interior residue or faint haze in one side, otherwise perfect). Odell, p.284. A liniment that advertised for man, and beast, believed to be from Lawrenceville, Illinois. Extremely rare, believed to be one of only two or three known, and the first example at auction in almost 30 years. Gary Enters collection. Est.: $300 - $600 • Min. bid: $150

The lot ended up selling for $172.50, which was opening bid plus 15% buyer's premium. I would note that I would typically associate a bottle of this style with the 1850's, not the Civil War era. Most of the advertisements I have seen are from the 1850's as well.

I would consider this sales price low, but based on what I have seen there are more than "two or three known", so that may have had an impact. I would say that the $500 offer was probably a very good offer honestly and I would be very surprised to see an example sell at auction for more than that, though you never know I suppose.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Interesting liniment! I wonder about the significance of "American" in the label . . . I mean, what is nationalistic about liniment? I have another "American liniment," a JOHNSON'S AMERICAN ANODYNE LINIMENT. My first thought was that these brands date to a period of intense patriotism in American history (during the buildup to the Civil War).

Were there other brands enhanced with a reference to the nation, or was this just a lone example with a knock-off?

Marketing? "German kummel" or "French perfume" portray the item as original or even exotic. It's difficult for me to make the connection to original or exotic American liniment.

linimentjohnsonsanodyne.jpg

Tom smith

Reaction score
One sold in American Glass Gallery's Auction 24 in 2019. Their description was as follows:

Lot 246 “POWELL’S - AMERICAN / LINIMENT”, America, 1850 - 1860. Aquamarine, cylindrical, sheared, tooled and inward rolled lip - blowpipe pontil scar, ht. 3 ¾”, very near mint; (slight touch light interior residue or faint haze in one side, otherwise perfect). Odell, p.284. A liniment that advertised for man, and beast, believed to be from Lawrenceville, Illinois. Extremely rare, believed to be one of only two or three known, and the first example at auction in almost 30 years. Gary Enters collection. Est.: $300 - $600 • Min. bid: $150

The lot ended up selling for $172.50, which was opening bid plus 15% buyer's premium. I would note that I would typically associate a bottle of this style with the 1850's, not the Civil War era. Most of the advertisements I have seen are from the 1850's as well.

I would consider this sales price low, but based on what I have seen there are more than "two or three known", so that may have had an impact. I would say that the $500 offer was probably a very good offer honestly and I would be very surprised to see an example sell at auction for more than that, though you never know I suppose.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Are these a Mexican Mustang Liniment type product competitors? Look very similar.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Are these a Mexican Mustang Liniment type product competitors? Look very similar.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
That's a thought. Are "American" liniments a nationalistic marketing appeal to compete with a "foreign" liniment (MEXICAN MUSTANG). That supposes a fierce competition for the liniment market, which seems unusual.

liniment mexican mustang.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi