Orange Crush Amber "Krinkly" Dating Help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shadeone

Reaction score
The 1940s amber "krinkly" or "honeycomb" style Orange Crush bottles were replaced in 1955 by the clear and curvy "Mae West" style bottles. I have found most of the earlier Amber bottles to be easy to date with the exception of this particular logo variation...

fNX00C.jpg

This particular variant has "7 fl ozs" under the "company bottle" line (whereas most standard ones just have "company bottle" with nothing else beneath it) and has a base code that reads:
7 FL OZS
L 64
1 1095

Now most normal people would take this to be "L" for Laurens Glass Works and 64 for the year 1964... However, as I stated earlier, these particular bottles were phased out in 1955 and as far as I know, not produced in the 60s. Collector Ivan Lang provided a version of this same logo style bottle made by Duraglass and it is dated 1954:
QcRr6e.jpg

Now, I have found other examples of this bottle in completed ebay auctions and the like, with the same "L64" code as well as the 1095 part, but the single digit to the left of the 1095 varies. So far I have found 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7
Example, here is one with a "5" in that particular location:
okWl0R.jpg

People have mentioned that the single digit is possibly a plant code, but my theory is that this single digit indicates the year manufactured in this case? Can anyone prove or disprove this and possibly explain the L64, or give any insight on how to properly date this variation of Orange Crush bottle?

Last edited:

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
I thought they were phased out by 1970 so L 64 might be the glass house and date.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
You are so right! I am so sorry. I got mixed up. The dot is the only way to tell the difference between 1930-1932 and 1940-1942.

shadeone

Reaction score
I'm specifically talking about one logo variation here... the one that has "7 fl ozs" after the company logo part:
qTZTl8.jpg

This variation seems to 90% of the time come with the L64 and 1095 markings that I am questioning here...

Also, what evidence exists that the amber "krinkly" types were still being produced into the 70s? Or even 60s? Obviously they were re-used and re-filled until they were no longer viable, but here are some newspaper clippings from the mid 50s showing the introduction of the "Mae West" or "draped" style bottle. They were proud of this new bottle. They wouldn't have kept deliberately producing the old amber krinkly bottles for another decade or more after the introduction of this new shape.

0oN4tM.jpg

oWQWBx.jpg

3JMVT3.jpg

raImuC.jpg

BN8vZR.jpg

4NK6d2.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member