Original outhouse.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
That's the second time I have heard of a old outhouse standing in a cemetery. I live in a community in the boonies, there is a cemetery 4 miles away that is 163+ years old. It too still has a outhouse. Would be interesting to look down the hole to see if any bottles are there.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
They had 2 seats so that the privy hole would fill more evenly instead of having one large pyramid of (sometimes frozen) shit!
(City people!)
Have to knock it down with a stick when the pile gets too high. Just like an over used Johnny on the spot.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The one I pictured was in the big city of Detroit, I've seen at least 2 others, maybe 3 in Detroit. LEON.
View attachment 229867View attachment 229868
Interesting to hear they can still be found in Detroit. I know in the case of Montreal I've read about how they were banned over 100 years ago, but other cities may have taken much longer to ban them, if they ever did. Some independent suburbs may not have bothered to ban them as well, I had a very old apartment in a part of Montreal which had been independent until the end of the 20th century and it appeared to have only had a bathroom installed in the 60s.

Bohdan

Reaction score
That's the second time I have heard of a old outhouse standing in a cemetery. I live in a community in the boonies, there is a cemetery 4 miles away that is 163+ years old. It too still has a outhouse. Would be interesting to look down the hole to see if any bottles are there.
Churches in rural communities on the prairies were built on land (usually donated by a local farmer) in a location central to parishioners. Almost ALL included an outhouse. There are dozens of examples in the area I grew up in.

MaxiLou47

Reaction score
I have a run down one on my property, I'll attach a picture later! I found an old handmade trail which led to a tiny house that used to be there while doing one of my digs!

Toma777

Reaction score
I have some old-timer friends here in rural Oregon that still use outhouses. They re-dig the pits, and move the outhouses over the new pits. I don't know how they live without ever bathing, yuck. A lot of them are passing away now. I loved hearing the old stories of going to town in an old buck wagon, and how it would take all day.

margclearlake

Reaction score
I have a run down one on my property, I'll attach a picture later! I found an old handmade trail which led to a tiny house that used to be there while doing one of my digs!
oooh! pic of the trail!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp