Packing Stoneware???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
How is stoneware usually shipped? Obviously you would want to wrap it good and surround it with packing material... but what about the inside? Is it shipped empty or do they stuff it with packing material as well? Just curious as I've never bought or sold any that needed to be shipped.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dont see any advantage to packing the inside.
I agree double boxing is the safest method especially for dense items.
I always worry about handles and put extra packing there.

lexdigger

Reaction score
So if I bubble wrap a crock and fit it into a box, I should put packing material in another larger box around the smaller box? Would that be acceptable and safe? I plan on putting insurance on it as well... just in case!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Have been shipping stoneware for 40 years now, and I either double box (placing the stoneware item in a box, then placing that box inside another box), or if I have one handy, use what I call a double wall box. There are boxes out there with very thick walls (like two or three regular cardboard boxes thick!) or with liners, such as foam, styrofoam, or dense fiber liners.
I leave at least 4 inches (the width of my hand) on all sides regardless of the box, and pack the fill firmly so that the weight of the item does not compress the fill, and cause it to shift in transit.
I DO NOT USE air packs (they pop), I will use bubble wrap (small bubbles are better, less likely to pop), styrofoam peanuts and or newspaper. Again, pack the material firm so that it can not compress/settle and allow the item to shift.
On jugs, I will cover the mouth to keep the packing from getting inside.
With large mouth items, I will fill them to prevent the potential for the packing to get inside the piece, causing the piece to get loose and shift.
Over my 40 years of collecting, the only damage I have encountered so far, has been on poorly packed pieces, sent to me.
Oh, and one more thing, very important. EVEN IF YOU PURCHASE INSURANCE, THE PO WILL NOT PAY THE CLAIM IF THEY FEEL IT WAS POORLY PACKED. I know, been there many moons ago. Was young, and the seller told me to file the claim, never got the money for the incised ovid, as the PO said it was poorly packed (which it was).
I pack to protect the item, not to save on shipping.....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky