Paper Label SPUR bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Eric

Reaction score
Just bought these at a small auction... I never see Spur soda bottles... not around here in Missouri anyway.... And these are the first paper label
I've seen for Spur... not sure of the year so someone here with the knowledge to understand the embossed info on the bottom please
chime in. And Thank You. The neck on the bottle are embossed Canada Dry as this is their cola (Nichol Kola that is :) )
I like the little bottle stoppers... too bad they are dry rotted... I will turn them upside down and soak in CLR to clean them up a bit...
Anyway been a bit since I bought a bottle and thought these were cool so I had to pick them up. Please anyone else that may have a paper
label version please post. I have a few Spur cardboard 6 pack carriers that are 40s era but think these are a little older for the style of carriers I think
SpurBottles01.jpg
SpurBottles01b.jpg
SpurBottles01c.jpg
SpurBottles01d.jpg
SpurBottles01e.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Appears to be 1939, interesting they have those closures. I always wondered, it must have been only a very few select bottlers that would use those.

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
-
I would suggest they are normal crown closures.
-
The closures shown in the photograph do not appear to be attached to the neck in the normal way,
it would be good to see them in the open position.
-
It also appears odd that with the amount of corrosion present the labels have survived in such good condition?
-
A quick google search shows many images of Canada Dry 'Spur' bottles,
the vast majority having ACL type labels and all crown closures.

-

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those closures are really odd. Never seen them on a soda from that era before. I would normally assume someone added them later but they sure look like they've been on there for a while.

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Cool bottles! I like the embossing around the neck and the textured glass. I don't recall seeing paper label versions of Spur in the St. Louis area, mainly the six or seven ounce acl versions. I agree with the other comments that the closures are not original to the bottle, would have had a crown top cap.

Eric

Reaction score
They came with another paper label bottle for tomato juice that had the same stopper... I'm sure the stoppers were for once
the bottle was open they could be resealed... there are other caps I've seen on eBay that look like larger crown/caps that have
the little latch arm thing for resealing... Spur even made some. Does anyone remember the Tupperware reseal caps for soda
bottles?... kinda reminded me of little straw hats as a kid.
Funny to think someone couldn't finish a small 6-7 ounce drink and had to reseal it... Or maybe it's a sad thing that I can sit and
drink a 20 ounce bottle of soda at one sitting... Oh well... thanks for the comments folks love checking this site everyday to see
what pops up out there..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac