PayPal transaction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

brick0044

Reaction score
What are the risks of a Paypal transaction ? I'm a trusting person I just don't want to get burned. And does anyone know XXX XXXXX he is buying a bottle from me . Sorry just nervous Edited name out.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've never had a problem in 20 years of paypal, it may depend on where your selling it from. I've used it on personal web sites of mine, direct sales by word of mouth and ebay.Buyers do tend to get the preference over sellers protection wise but that's not likely if your selling has an accurate description.

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
I've been using PayPal for probably 10 years, and have never had a problem. And I've never been burned by anyone on this site. [:)] ~Mike

DeepDown

Reaction score
Pay Pal has Pro's & Con's like everything usually does. I was a heavy seller on there For over 10 yrs. Finally Quit selling on there 3 yrs ago... I probably made over 300,000 sales on ebay and used Pay Pal mainly. I had some problems with them But Not many.. I left with over 50,000 feedback and had less than 10 negatives in all that time... And my last 6 months. Pay Pal was making some problems. So was Ebays loop holes on Buyer protection... But my Biggest problem with Pay Pal... For No reason at all... they all of sudden Froze my Pay Pal and my Personal Checking accounting or 10 days.... Their So Called reason: They wanted to see if I really Had all 10,000+ items I had listed in my Ebay store... which of course I did... all 10 days, never asked to see the items, Never ask me questions, never done nothing.... it was froze for no Good reason... --- when they did it... At That time: I never kept cash on me.. ALL my money was in checking and Pay Pal. I was screwed... so on Day 3... I called them, Telling I Dead broke now... How am I going eat, pay mortage etc... Every cent I have is in those 2 accounts.... Because my account was with them for over 10 yrs and never once had any issue... They opened it for me for 4 hrs... and let me Pull ALL my money out of those 2 accounts (they knew I was Pulling ALL of it too - They let me)... and then re-froze it for the last 7 days... THAT NICE PART they done for me.... But never made sense why they froze it in first place.. And never once asked me for anything or even talked with me... Just froze everything for 10 days... and back to normal... That was the only Real Problem I had with them... Couple small ones... No big deal things.... SO my Warning to ANYONE having a Pay Pal account..... Do Not Keep lots of money in it... and you better Used a 2nd Checking account only attached to Pay Pal... Keep on Checking account Totally off Pay pal, one they never seen attached.. If they seen it, they freeze it too... And even that watch how much money you keep them.... Because if you do have a great selling month or Lots of money in the accounts... They will Freeze you accounts for No Good reason... And They Normally Never let you get your Money Out.... It was Special thing they done for me... Just Happened I playing an online game with a guy for over a year who High up with ebay, also called them and we on 3- way call with them... And My account was Flawless my whole 10+ years with LOTS of Sales... Only reasons why they done that for me... I was Lucky.. I know others who had it happen to them (froze accounts) It Happens a lot when making Tons of sales or High Lots of money in the accounts.... And I think they do it... Because they told too by Govnment or Police, someone... To make sure your not doing something illegal.. But it weird, you never get asked anything the whole time... just frozen for 10 days... That was my only main problem I had... 3 yrs ago.

DeepDown

Reaction score
Forgot to say.... Pay pal can Freeze any of Your accounts you attached on Pay Pal... If you put a checking account & also put a different Bank Credit Card... they can freeze both... Any account ever attached with them. If you are using your main everyday Checking account now with them... Leave on with them... Just open a 2nd account and Never list the account or debit card with them... I heard mixed stories about Transferring the money from the Pay Pal account - to the checking account not listed with them... I think they Can't freeze it... I think that ok to do... But I didn't.... Just every time I up over $1,000 in the account I'd go to ATM and with drawn my debit cards and Then go to my other bank a deposit the money... I wasn't going to let that happen to me again... I just figured out what a good amount for me to keep in the accounts to cover everything, shipping cost averages for a few days.... etc... rest I took out and put in my new checking account not tied to them at all... Hope this Helps... Anyone selling on Ebay a lot or using Pay Pal a lot.... It does happen a lot.... and really did happen to me..

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The above is true fact. Pay pal can and will freeze your pay pal account and anything tied to it, BUT only if it is a selling pay pal account, I have a buyers pay pal account and they don't mess with that or my regular checking, go figure huh. been with e-bay since 1996 and pay pal since it started, and pay pal is the only best way to go if you are a buyer.....Andy

diggerdirect

Reaction score
andy volkerts said:
The above is true fact. Pay pal can and will freeze your pay pal account and anything tied to it,

BS Thats Not 'fact' at all....I dont know what banks you have but if you have a paypal business or premier account and tie a personal bank account to it you have authorized your bank to allow a third party (paypal) to access funds from that account, which they will do under certain circumstances, no different than having any other bill auto deducted from your account by any other 'third party', but they (PayPal) cannot 'Freeze' any of your personal accounts. It takes a court order, the bank itself or another legal entity to do that. If thats what happened then obviously there is more to this story than stated above, but it wasnt paypal who froze it.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Then you should go to the flea-bay sellers pages and tell the myriad of posters there how to unfreeze their accounts, because apparently it happens all the time to seller accounts. I am not complaining about my account, just sayin, it happens, all the time...............

diggerdirect

Reaction score
andy volkerts said:
Then you should go to the flea-bay sellers pages and tell the myriad of posters there how to unfreeze their accounts, because apparently it happens all the time to seller accounts. I am not complaining about my account, just sayin, it happens, all the time...............

Seems you have confused a 'sellers paypal account' with personal bank accounts & cards. Don't get me wrong, I dont have any " I Love PayPal " tattoos on my forehead, their treatment of sellers, especially, but not limited to, new sellers and the 21+ day holds they can & do randomly impose on sellers 'PayPal' accounts is ridiculous at best, as well as eBays 'use only our payment service or leave' policies that I'd like to see changed, but after numerous court challenges still stands so apparently is legal as well. My issue is with the statement that paypal can freeze any past or present linked bank account or card, that is false. They cannot unless they go through the proper channels same as any other bill collector has to. You can revoke any third party authorizations to your personal accounts at any time with your bank. I do frequent the sellers boards & paypal boards on eBay quite often, the majority are complaints about temporary holds (frozen) 'paypal' accounts (which is clearly stated in the terms when you sign up) or complaints about paypal taking funds from linked accounts when there isn't enough in their paypal account. (also clearly stated in the terms) The OP is the first complaint I've seen of paypal freezing their personal bank account 'for no reason', and would suspect there is much more to the story, because they can't 'just do it'.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp