Peanut butter jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Here is two different sized peanut butter jars. When empty were meant to be used as drinking glasses. True recycling.
ROBBYBOBBY64
IMG_20200529_112645~2.jpg

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
I have some similar small ones like that too but I think mine have little embossed stars below that top rim. I figured they were jelly jars or something but I was going to use them for glasses. They’re boxed up right now but I’ll have to see if I can find em when we clean out the garage in the coming weeks.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I always heard these called jelly jars, don't think I've ever seen a labeled version. Around here you can get mustard which comes in drinking glasses, it's a good idea!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I always heard these called jelly jars, don't think I've ever seen a labeled version. Around here you can get mustard which comes in drinking glasses, it's a good idea!
I have seen the tall one with the little vertical lines around the lip of the jar. It had the paper label for peanut butter. Like you said i am sure it was universal and used for mustard, jelly and anything else they needed to jar. Relic Hawk of you tube aka Slugplate found one in his last video. In the highlights at the end of his video he shows one with the paper label it was peanut butter. I forget the brand.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I just got some jars that look kind of like that and was wondering if they were jars or just drinking glasses.

View attachment 207987

This mark is on the bottom of all 3
View attachment 207989
The image is the manufacturers mark for Capstan Glass Company Connellsville, Pa. 1919- 1938. It resembles a pawn chess piece. It is really a Capstan a spool like device mounted on ships and docks to aid in the lifting, pulling or moving heavy items with cables or rope which was wound around the Capstan. The glass is called a "packer glass" or jelly jar made to hold a variety of food prouducts such as cheese spread, jam, peanut butter, mustard, etc. Capstan glass company was purchased by Anchor Hocking Glass Company in 1938.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

woods_walker

Reaction score
Here is two different sized peanut butter jars. When empty were meant to be used as drinking glasses. True recycling.
ROBBYBOBBY64View attachment 207976

I wish I would of kept some of the cups I found when I first got into digging. I didn’t think twice about leaving them behind back then. Now that I want one I can’t find any! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mytauntaunsbeat

Reaction score
The image is the manufacturers mark for Capstan Glass Company Connellsville, Pa. 1919- 1938. It resembles a pawn chess piece. It is really a Capstan a spool like device mounted on ships and docks to aid in the lifting, pulling or moving heavy items with cables or rope which was wound around the Capstan. The glass is called a "packer glass" or jelly jar made to hold a variety of food prouducts such as cheese spread, jam, peanut butter, mustard, etc. Capstan glass company was purchased by Anchor Hocking Glass Company in 1938.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Awesome man, thanks!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I wish I would of kept some of the cups I found when I first got into digging. I didn’t think twice about leaving them behind back then. Now that I want one I can’t find any! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you least expect it is when you will find more. You will find am for sure. I found the ones i got on the surface just walking in the woods. Sure there are more where they came from. Good luck!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Yes definitely Jelly jars that were meant to be drinking glasses when done. We had Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, Woody Wood pecker, Snoopy and the Peanuts, Pogo etc... and of course they were newspaper premiums and became supermarket items .. a bit of time in the ground and their cheap pyro glazing would disappear quickly

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp