Pennsylvania Locals

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Screwtop

Reaction score
I had a bottle buyin' spree, and several more are coming in the mail. Eh, why not, you only live once. :/

DSC_0709.jpg

W.H. Calvert, Charleroi PA.

DSC_0710.jpg

North Side Bottling Works, Latrobe PA.

DSC_0711.jpg

Wm. H. Raubenhold, Hamburg PA.

DSC_0712.jpg

Brokoffs Dairy, Pottsville PA.

DSC_0713.jpg

Wm. S. Cowen, Pottsville PA

Csa

Reaction score
Nice! Yolo indeed. Interesting shape on that half pint milk. Any yr marking on base or mfg marks on the heel?!

Csa

Reaction score
Thx. Looked a little diff than a regular cream top.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Most collectors want that adrenaline rush of digging bottles but to build a good coherent collection buying is necessary. The advent of the internet was the biggest improvement to bottle collecting ever. Considering time and effort most digging rarely pays off. Finding a lot of common junker bottles only adds up to a lot of junker bottles. I have collected bottles almost 40 years and have a decent collection. This is a good old area for finding bottles but if my collection only had bottles I dug it would be less than 1/4 the size.

Reaction score

Bohdan

Reaction score
Most collectors want that adrenaline rush of digging bottles but to build a good coherent collection buying is necessary. The advent of the internet was the biggest improvement to bottle collecting ever. Considering time and effort most digging rarely pays off. Finding a lot of common junker bottles only adds up to a lot of junker bottles. I have collected bottles almost 40 years and have a decent collection. This is a good old area for finding bottles but if my collection only had bottles I dug it would be less than 1/4 the size.
Tell me again: why does size matter?
I think that it's the experience of finding and learning the history of the bottle that makes it all worthwhile.
I've been digging since the early 1970's and can still tell you where I found the most notable of my bottles - and the story of their contents.
There is no "adrenaline rush" for me. It's about getting out and digging - maybe finding something - maybe not. Time and effort always pays off for me. I've never had a bad day digging - I might have gotten soaking wet or freezing cold, but it's always been a memorable adventure. I just can't see why anyone would prefer sitting at a computer terminal shopping online.
The internet has been great for researching the history of the bottles that you do find. Old advertising for example. My profile pic is an example - a relatively common Pinkham bottle with period advertising replica in a shadow box with the history written on the back.
I don't believe that this hobby should be about 'accumulating' more and more.
That just seems to mean that the guy with the most money to spend somehow "wins".

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Tell me again: why does size matter?
I think that it's the experience of finding and learning the history of the bottle that makes it all worthwhile.
I've been digging since the early 1970's and can still tell you where I found the most notable of my bottles - and the story of their contents.
There is no "adrenaline rush" for me. It's about getting out and digging - maybe finding something - maybe not. Time and effort always pays off for me. I've never had a bad day digging - I might have gotten soaking wet or freezing cold, but it's always been a memorable adventure. I just can't see why anyone would prefer sitting at a computer terminal shopping online.
The internet has been great for researching the history of the bottles that you do find. Old advertising for example. My profile pic is an example - a relatively common Pinkham bottle with period advertising replica in a shadow box with the history written on the back.
I don't believe that this hobby should be about 'accumulating' more and more.
That just seems to mean that the guy with the most money to spend somehow "wins".
As someone with a life long interest in history I've applied that interest to collecting. I spent a few years researching and documenting bottling in Trenton which was later housed on another site no longer active. I spent many years researching the Civil War history of the NJ town where I live which is now part of the NJ State Archives reference collection. But rarely have I shared that interest with bottle collectors. History is the deeds and stories of people. History is not a physical thing. For that reason collectors don't collect history, they usually collect the physical artifacts of history. those are two completely different things, what people did and what they made. And for that reason it's easy to fall into the trap of competition to have bigger and better stuff and lose sight of the importance of all the talent and activities of people who made that stuff exist. Throw all the stuff away and history still exists, it never goes away because it's not a physical thing which can be destroyed.

Reactions: Csa

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac