Pharm bottle? New Orleans

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

john

Reaction score
I really like this bottle I found recently. I think it is an old druggist bottle. The left side has numbers going up the side; 2,4,6 and at the bottom is a funky looking three that is probably a symbol and not a number. The right side says "cc" (cubic centimeters) and has 10, 20 up the side.
The top middle of the bottle body has that funky "3" again and a "i" next to it.
Any info on this sort of bottle. It is part of a stash found in my backyard in New Orleans recently. My landlady is in her 70s and she thinks she remembers them when she was a kid holding opiates, which might be why they were burried in my back yard, not thrown in public garbage collection.
If I clean the crud out inside the bottle will I lose the iridescence?

3i.jpg

vtspring

Reaction score
SOME THING TO THINK ABOUT IS THAT ALOT OF HOUSES HAD A GARBAGE PIT IN THE BACK YARD,AND THAT MOST PEOPLE AROUND THE TURN OF THE CENTURY USED THESE MEDICATIONS.USING A MEDICINE IN 1890 THAT CONTAINED OPIATES DID NOT MAKE YOU A "DRUG ADDICT" BY TODAYS STANDERDS.

john

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Anyone know what the funky looking "3i" means?
Is the left side notation for drams or something like that. I actually don'e even know what a dram is, I've just heard the word.
-john

drjhostetters

Reaction score
John....

I just looked up the "3i" symbol, I believe it is the Greek or Latin letter symbolizing ounces..the i means one:used as a co-effificent....(whatever that means!?!) The 3 without the "line" just below the top hash means dram....and a dram is 3 scruples, and a scruple is 20 grains.[&:]

I think your bottle appears to ahve been in a low heat fire (if there is such a thing!)..I think that's why the coloring..also it appears to me the lower third has sagged to the middle suggesting a fire...???? Just guessing...still a nice find for a back yard dig.

The Doc...Doctor J[X(]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown