Pickles and pontils

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Hey guys and Gals. Just signed up and enjoying the forum. I collect colored cathedral pickles and dabble in colored pontil meds. I enjoy scouring the net and countryside for good bottles to introduce to the hobby . Will post pics of my latest find in next post in proper category I guess to see if anybody can give me info.

willong

Reaction score
Hey guys and Gals. Just signed up and enjoying the forum. I collect colored cathedral pickles and dabble in colored pontil meds. I enjoy scouring the net and countryside for good bottles to introduce to the hobby . Will post pics of my latest find in next post in proper category I guess to see if anybody can give me info.
Welcome to the site Johnny.

Sounds like a high-end collection: "I collect colored cathedral pickles and dabble in colored pontil meds."

Johnny M

Reaction score
It was a pleasure to build. I have been selling off some of the examples but am still holding about 15 bottles. Just started with colored pontiled meds. First on the shelf is a perfect 10 Gibbs Bone liniment. Not the rarest but I love the color and form. Here is a pickle. Holy Sh...t! LOL

Attachments

• 20200624_122247.jpg
    20200624_122247.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 102

sandchip

Reaction score
That's a beauty, Johnny. About as dark as I've see for that mold.

Johnny M

Reaction score
Yeah. I couldn't believe it when it came up for sale by someone who saw an ad I used to run looking for pickles. He had first pick from a pile of bottles from a deep Brooklyn NY stone liner and it was the obvious star of the dig so he grabbed for the value potential but really collected only good inks so he called me right after looking for a quick payday to help finance an ink he wanted. It's never been circulated in the hobby and still had some clay and seeds inside because it was the last bottle in the hole at about 16 feet in the night soil if I recall his story right. I had to drive 6 hours in an ice storm with my now ex- wife to get it with her demanding I turn around because no bottle was worth your life. Well, this one was. Just needed a light tumble for weak haze. It's got a deep,pasty silly iron pontil too. Glad to post some eye candy for the group.

sandchip

Reaction score
Great story. Bottle collectors are an intrepid bunch. Need to see that pontil, too!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I drove to Wisconsin TWICE for only a single bottle each trip. 8+ hours one way. It is at times a mania, but it is fun. Good times and memories.

Johnny M

Reaction score
Great story. Bottle collectors are an intrepid bunch. Need to see that pontil, too!
I'll get a pontil pic up when I can. Bottle is at my mom's house. I'll take a pic of another pickle too since I will be there anyway.

Johnny M

Reaction score
I drove to Wisconsin TWICE for only a single bottle each trip. 8+ hours one way. It is at times a mania, but it is fun. Good times and memories.
Agreed. OK, you knew this was coming.....what was the bottle?!?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu