Please Help: Wood Peg Stuck in the Insulator

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Chasmodes

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. First time poster here. I just found this site. I have a porcelain insulator that I found that has the wooden peg (that was attached to an iron bolt through the cross arm), where the wooden peg is stuck. I can't budge it. I tried using various tools to unscrew it, but I can't move it. In fact, I've damaged the peg. I don't care to keep the peg, but if I try to manually remove it with more force, I'm afraid that I might break the insulator. I was thinking about may spraying WD 40 or Liquid Wrench, or another lubricant around the edges to try and loosen it, but I'm not sure that it would penetrate enough, or even work on the grime that's causing it to be stuck. I thought about soaking it in Barkeeper's Friend too. Anyway, do you all think any of those techniques would work? If not, what would you do?

Many thanks!

nydigger

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. First time poster here. I just found this site. I have a porcelain insulator that I found that has the wooden peg (that was attached to an iron bolt through the cross arm), where the wooden peg is stuck. I can't budge it. I tried using various tools to unscrew it, but I can't move it. In fact, I've damaged the peg. I don't care to keep the peg, but if I try to manually remove it with more force, I'm afraid that I might break the insulator. I was thinking about may spraying WD 40 or Liquid Wrench, or another lubricant around the edges to try and loosen it, but I'm not sure that it would penetrate enough, or even work on the grime that's causing it to be stuck. I thought about soaking it in Barkeeper's Friend too. Anyway, do you all think any of those techniques would work? If not, what would you do?

Many thanks!
Soak it in water to soften the wood up. Then either spin it out with a big flat head screw driver or gently take it out piece by piece

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
Hi Chasmodes I Am Sending You A Photo Of How The Insulator Is Mounted They Are Screwed On The Chassis And They Have To Be Un Screwed

Attachments

• IMG_0519[5895] - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0519[5895] - Copy.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0523[5898].jpg
    IMG_0523[5898].jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 115

Chasmodes

Reaction score
Thank you nydigger, that's what I thought, no easy way LOL. Soaking makes sense. I'll report back on my results once finished.

Grace, thank you, but my issue isn't getting it off of the chassis, it's getting the wood insert pin out of the insulator after removal from the chassis. Still, I like the photos :)

dumpicker

Reaction score
I think soaking it will make the wood swell and become tighter. I think drying it out somehow would shrink the wood so you could unscrew it. But I am a new member so beware of my advise

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Soak it in water to soften the wood up. Then either spin it out with a big flat head screw driver or gently take it out piece by piece

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Might just swell up the wood and make it tighter, I think you should dry out the wood and it might shrink enough to pull it out. Here is what the threads look like. Turn the insulator counter-clockwise in the upright position.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 16483282520944885897714263155976.jpg
    16483282520944885897714263155976.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 98

Chasmodes

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I think that I'll let it dry out before doing anything else. I appreciate the suggestions!

Brutalfly

Reaction score
I know you said it was on a wooden peg but I had a couple that were rusted to a metal peg and then it was bolted on the wooden cross arm. I sprayed WD40 down into the holes where the threads were and let it sit for almost a week. Then I sprayed some more down into the insulator and was able to loosen it up very slowly and got both of my insulators off of the metal peg.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown