Pontil bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jsmitty4549

Reaction score
I purchased it. No idea where it originally came from but i can try to find out. I just thought it was a neat bottle and was told it was probably dating around 1830s to 1850s.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Neat form. I don't see any sign of modern there myself. I think it's the real deal. It would have been a "utility" form which means it could have been used for a number of different things... medicine, ink, food stuff....

Nice neat bottle.

Jim G

sandchip

Reaction score
Neat form. I don't see any sign of modern there myself. I think it's the real deal...

We may just have to differ here, Jim. Although I agree as I stated in my first response that it has everything that you look for in an old bottle, my gut keeps telling me modern. The pontil mark is odd and looks like a solid iron rod was used which would be unusual. Pictures of it from another angle might help because maybe it's just the way I'm seeing it. Also, the top just doesn't look right for some reason. And I know that neither the presence nor the lack of base wear is a surefire indicator of age, most early utilities were used over and over again in a household and almost always have considerable wear. Not trying to be obstinate here. I do hope that I'm wrong and that it does date to the period indicated by the seller.

NC btl-dvr

Reaction score
Looks new, like some of the bottles for accent pieces in Pier One. The lip doesn't look quite right, no case wear, etc

yacorie

Reaction score
I’d have to agree that the lack of substantial base wear leads me to be in the modern camp but I’m certainly no expert.

jimmydean56

Reaction score
I have a bottle that is very similar to yours. It has very thin glass, very light, lots of bubbles and very little wear on the bottom. It is a medicine and/or poison bottle. If it was a poison and sitting on a shelf, not being used all the time, it will not have much wear.
On the other hand, it could be a reproduction because there does not seem to be much hand finishing or stretching on the neck or any other defects or imperfections in the glass.
Regardless, it's a nice looking bottle. did you find it in an antique store, flea market? What did it cost?

Brewster113

Reaction score
Hi all, Sandchip I think I am in your camp. It looks good but there is just something that does not ring true. I have attached a couple of photos of a couple of bottles I have that are quite similar in construction but mine have ribs on the side. No mold line but has a pontil and thin applied lip and very thin glass with lots of bubbles, no wear on the bottom.
I picked mine up at a garage sale and the woman said they had come from Mexico. There was a pink one as well but it fell from great heights.
Bruce
IMG_20200304_120340.jpg
IMG_20200304_120351.jpg

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I have to weigh in with some doubt like Sandchip. my reasoning is twofold- the bubbles are just too much and the strange ID mark , and then there is the absolute absence of wear or stain -soiling.
having said that.... its still a nice display bottle for a window

yacorie

Reaction score
Brewster113 is right that Mexico did/does produce a lot of glass like this. I have a couple pieces that I’m told are from Mexico - and one was dug locally in CT.
I’ll try to remember to find them for a pic or two

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky