Pontil Jar help Please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I have found an odd jar I believe it to be old. I will let you experts tell me what you think. I know more about sodas than this type of old glass. It has a large pontil mark with rough edges. This jar also has a small kick up like on wine bottles. full of seed bubbles with a great color and imperfections. It measures 9" tall 6" wide at base. to me it seems to have an odd lip on it. There are no seems to this Jar it has lots of rings in the glass from top to bottom looks like it is from the glass being stretched possibly. there are 2 pieces of trash in the glass. I do not know if this had a lid or not. The inside of lid is not ground down for a glass lid. There are no markings on this Jar at all. Please put your heads together and tell me something about it such as value and purpose. I know i haven't posted in a while but will soon as i get a chance
Brian

Bz79614.jpg

Attachments

• Bz79614.jpg
    Bz79614.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 41

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi Brian, You guys over in Texas sure find some neat stuff. [:)]May have to slide on over and check it out one day. Nice to be in the south where is only in the 60s and 70s.[;)] Looks like a food storage jar but could also be an apothacary jar. Could you post a side view pic. The rings in the glass come from turning the jar in in the mold while the glass is still hot. The top looks to be sheared and then turned down, a process that is not considered tooling and being pontiled I' d say 1860s or earlyer. It looks like a nice crude jar. Very cool.

Merry Christmas

flasherr

Reaction score
There is neat stuff here but I find best stuff comes from up north. I love to get into Indiana Ohio Tennessee to go hunting junk. I believe this jar possibly came from Richmond Indiana area. a lady from there brings lots of wonderful items down from there. The shop I got this from said she thinks it came from her sister which lives in that area. I hope this picture show what you wanted to see. the sun has gone down and don't have any real good lighting in house.

Hunting for bottles in shops and markets is fun. What I really want is to get my hands dirty and dig bottles. I mostly collect ACL soda but I always love to find a nice piece.

Thanx Brian

Db86420.jpg

Attachments

• Db86420.jpg
    Db86420.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 46

KentOhio

Reaction score
I don't see any base wear, but I still think it's a genuinely old jar. When I say old, I mean OLD. As long as it's real, it would date from about 1760 to 1810. I'm not going to guess if it's American or not. There are people who have collected all their lives and they can't tell for sure. A lot of them are being imported from France that I've noticed, though.

KentOhio

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, value. Probably not less than $225, and not more than $500.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have seen a few similar in antique shops that had other european import stuff like emerald green French Dur For jars. Sometimes they are polished pontil sometimes unpolished. They seem to be from victorian era, specimen jars or apothecary jars from what I can tell. Whether yours has similar origins is hard to say.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18