Possible Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

masterdan407

Reaction score
I was metal detecting in my garage and in the back corner I got a big hit, so I started digging and was pulling up a bunch of very rusty iron when I found the neck of a bottle. I continued to dig and kept finding pieces of bottles and old china. I am around 3-4 feet down at this point and have yet to find any intact or really even close to intact bottles. Should I chalk it up as a bust or keep going deeper? Here is a picture of some of what I have been finding. The seams on the necks all stop before the lips, so they seem to be from the right time frame...

61F3D4CBCA7D4293AD46A59D7C450EBA.jpg

Attachments

• 61F3D4CBCA7D4293AD46A59D7C450EBA.jpg
    61F3D4CBCA7D4293AD46A59D7C450EBA.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 96

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Depending on how stable your garage is, I'd be digging a little deeper. It looks like you are on to a potentially good spot.

Good luck.

Mike

botlguy

Reaction score
I'd move the garage before I gave up digging that completely out. I've done that sort of thing before, not really a garage but a large shed. If the garage has a dirt floor but it is stable I say dig away. Wish I was there to help.

tigue710

Reaction score
we need to see pictures of the ground your digging to really be able to answer that question. Are there layers, ash, anything different about the soil? Could be an outhouse, old dump or just loose debris in the ground. The fact that your four feet deep makes me think its more then loose debris though. My guess would be an already dug outhouse or dirty fill...

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: masterdan407

In the back corner of the property.

yeah we are ready to do one that is just like that (privy) it goes under the garage. Dig a test hole and see what comes up. Do you have a probe?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky