Possibly one of the earliest John Ryan bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
It's definatly something I had no idea existed. Even when seeing it and looking at it first hand, never crossed my mind it was enhanced. If anyone ever finds photos of some of these types of bottles that were made, i'd love to see photos of them. I'm glad to know this tho, even being a painful lesson. It's a shame and hurts our great hobby.

All the best,
~Tim

appliedlips

Reaction score
Wow, I certainly feel for you Tim. This is an abomination, I would be very upset. I think you should display this at shows to educate other collectors.

Edndlm, Do you have a picture of your cure? I'd love to see it posted, I've seen J.W.s and it is absolutely hilarious.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
As a trained graphic designer and typographer, that lettering font is Helvetica or one of the numerous copies. Helvetica was designed in1957. Nothing like it existed before that, so undoubtedly a modern addition to the bottle. Being from UK I have also experienced much of the flowjetted items and pretty sure this is not one of those examples, which have been finished off much more convincingly than this, but still (fortunately) themselves suffer from similar giveaway details that are easy to spot.
Sorry that you have been cought out like this, and it is very much a case that we are all guilty of seeing what we want to. However, I think everyone will agree that the signs, although not initially obvious, when pointed out, are fairly easy to spot in any further attempts at this sort of deceipt. it is up to all of us, the forums and the magazines to educate everyone as quickly as possible so that these attempts can be nipped in the bud.
egc www.earlyglass.com

sandchip

Reaction score
Provided there is a way to control the heat issues, sandblasting over a computer cut stencil film, then tumbling is another possibility. This might explain the chipped edges on the letters which is common when the stencil film edges lift during blasting.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
I talked to my friend that went up there with me, and I was mistaken about when the guy moved to this area from Pa. Originally I thought he said they moved here in the mid-80's but that must have been a diffrent conversation. He moved here from there in 2000, so highly likely this was done sometime in the 90's. We're going to the St. Louis show in March, and planned on bringing it with me to show other collectors there. If anyone makes that show it would be great to meet some of you.

All the best,
~Tim

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: earlyglasscollector
...oops sorry guys, didn't read all the posts and only just noticed somebody already identified the Helvitca typeface that I referred to.
egc www.earlyglass.com

Ain't no problem. Glad I'm not the only letterhead out there.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

ORIGINAL: earlyglasscollector
...oops sorry guys, didn't read all the posts and only just noticed somebody already identified the Helvitca typeface that I referred to.
egc www.earlyglass.com

Ain't no problem. Glad I'm not the only letterhead out there.
I like that..."letterhead"...must use that myself over here![:D]
egc www.earlyglass.com

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Tim, I have studied all this over twice, and I am proud of the responses and advise. But if I were you, I would spend some time letting some others examine the bottle. It would be very expensive to create this slug plate on a bottle by reducing the bottles surface. The slug plate shows being recessed in the mold to create the thickness of the lettering. The lettering being faced with the same surface as the bottle. Go slow on this one. If you want to contact me, you can use:
<bottlemysteries@yahoo.com> RED Matthews

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Thanks so much Red. I appreciate it. I definatly want other collectors to see this example. I'm still confused about it. I respect many of the well experienced collectors that have had all the input on this bottle. Many of them have had far more experience and knowledge than I do on bottles that have been altered. Then there's the story with the ones mentioned that were made up in Pa, but I have yet to see anything to compare it too. I'd sure love to, and maybe will get the chance eventually. One thing i'd really like is for collectors to see it in person and talk about their thoughts on it. The font style that has been talked about, along with the lettering being the same height as the rest of the bottle sure points to what has been stated. This bottle aggravates me lol

All the best,
~Tim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis