Pot lid price records?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlediger

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what is the highest price paid for an American pot lid? And what is the most desirable American pot lid and the value of it?

Thanks
Ryan

cadburys

Reaction score
Tough to say what the highest price paid is as many are sold privately. I would say that the colored washington crossing the delaware is the most desirable fetching between $3000-$4000. However Im sure that you know it only needs 2 people with deep pockets to make it go much higher.

BCB91F4B544D4C18A07251F864CFE9CB.jpg

Attachments

• BCB91F4B544D4C18A07251F864CFE9CB.jpg
    BCB91F4B544D4C18A07251F864CFE9CB.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 145

cadburys

Reaction score
..This is probably the next... although I'm not sure. Probably about a $2500-$3500 ?

I know Trog will chime in soon and give a definitive answer to your question.

371251E11079447D85CDE41AAF81ACB8.jpg

Attachments

• 371251E11079447D85CDE41AAF81ACB8.jpg
    371251E11079447D85CDE41AAF81ACB8.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 149

TROG

Reaction score
The 2 Pot Lids shown are fantastic and are definitely at the top of the tree in regards to U S lids as they both have eye appeal and show historical events.

Examples of these lids were in an auction in early 2000 and the Washington lid went for $7,750 and the Buffalo Hunt went for $6,250 and would think a premium was added to these prices.

David

cadburys

Reaction score
Ha ha... I guess I was a little off on the pricing then.

What's a few grand between friends eh?

Ant

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Anthony,

These lids were from a well known and large collection and would think that if sold now may not bring these prices at the present due the economy but as you mentioned it only needs 2 buyers competing to push a price up.

David

bottlediger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Those two lids are beautiful and more colorful than most

Ryan

crackpot

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I buy lids from the UK and have been buying from abroad for a number of years now. Pot lids have definitely dropped considerably in recent times.
I purchased one lid for 200pds recently and the very same lid sold a few years ago for 800pds. Both in perfect order, and both with perfect registration.
This is very much the norm now and I can quote a number of items with similar outcomes.
I am happy to post some images of examples if people would find it useful with printed prices achieved.

Perhaps somewhat of a pessimistic view but I would be careful outlaying huge bucks for any lids presently, only because there is a huge gap between the high end buyers which number only a few and the rest of the buying market.
Even with the lids above ...if you get the high end buyers placing an example on their shelf, how many remaining buyers would you seriously find at $5K+ Not many at all.
People we are currently in a GFC and after being in the Antique industry for over 30 years I believe I can speak with some qualification. Watch your pennies because there will be some real bargains to be had if the situation doesn't improve. The Antique industry has never seen it so bad.

TROG

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jz4h3m

I wonder if Bob Houghton's new pot lid book (he co-wrote THE Ointment Bible "Historical Guide to Delftware and Victorian Ointment Pots") will help revive interest in Pot lids. I have read he hopes to have 7,000 images and the book is due out this year!

Bob Houghton,s book on pot lids will be a fantastic boost to collecting lids but is 99%+related to U K lids and will only have a few lids listed from other countries.

Gidday

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: crackpot

Interesting discussion. I buy lids from the UK and have been buying from abroad for a number of years now. Pot lids have definitely dropped considerably in recent times.
I purchased one lid for 200pds recently and the very same lid sold a few years ago for 800pds. Both in perfect order, and both with perfect registration.
This is very much the norm now and I can quote a number of items with similar outcomes.
I am happy to post some images of examples if people would find it useful with printed prices achieved.

Perhaps somewhat of a pessimistic view but I would be careful outlaying huge bucks for any lids presently, only because there is a huge gap between the high end buyers which number only a few and the rest of the buying market.
Even with the lids above ...if you get the high end buyers placing an example on their shelf, how many remaining buyers would you seriously find at $5K+ Not many at all.
People we are currently in a GFC and after being in the Antique industry for over 30 years I believe I can speak with some qualification. Watch your pennies because there will be some real bargains to be had if the situation doesn't improve. The Antique industry has never seen it so bad.

Not all is bad in the global antique industry John. It just depends upon your chosen area.

It's pretty hard to compare the UK / USA lid market just like their bottles. In the UK 7500 + lids so far and increasing every day. The USA maybe 400 like Australia, both in comparison far fewer new likely to ever turn up. Top lids in Australia in a recession bring 30K. With a US population north of 300 Mil, US pot lids are yet to be discovered which is great although some of the historical flask crowd are starting.

Happy to part with 3k for the multi color Taylor lids above or Jules Hauel Pratt scenes. Please PM.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado