Potential Threat to Bottle Diving // Divers/ Snorkelers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/giant-snakehead/
I hope I did this right with the link. Im a chef by trade, bottle diver on the side who by the way has had vivid shark nightmares since I was a teenager. The movie Jaws was the catalyst. I get this newsletter letting me know about this Frankenfish (yet another invasive species let loose) that chefs are putting on their menus. It also goes by the name snakehead. This is one scary looking fish that is apparently breeding and getting bigger by the day. It will get as big as a human and is very agressive especially in defense of its young. I cant imagine a fish like this attacking me underwater. I hope they cant tolerate the winter colds up here in Maine. I just thought others might be interested. No catch and release for this fish. Catch and kill please.

epackage

Reaction score
My buddy used to raise them as a kid because we loved watching them devour goldfish. Now worries to you as a diver but they do eat anything and everything fish wise...

coldwater diver

Reaction score
HI Epackage Check out the link they get up to 6 feet max weight 66 lb. They can be agressive to humans apparently in breeding season and to any persieved threat to their young. Some scary pictures on google images. First my Ring Dings now this monster fish as big as myself to worry about.

epackage

Reaction score
The largest one ever caught was about 30" and a warm water species that weighed 18 lbs., that guy on Animal Planet is huge bullshitter when it comes to this stuff, he's just trying to get viewers. Trust me you have no need to worry diving in Maine...[;)]

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
In what was determined by the Army Corps of Engineers to be an isolated incident, a fisherman caught a single snakehead on October 2004 while fishing from Lake Michigan at Burnham Harbor in Chicago, Illinois. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, snakeheads have also been spotted in California, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.
-Wiki

They are a warm water species and cant establish themselves in the northern states. Theyre a very invasive species and should be killed if caught.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
...maybe they will adapt to colder spawning grounds... [:-]

coldwater diver

Reaction score
For those that stay on land and dont dive I thought of a way to relate.

Picture this your taking a bath after a long stressfull day. Nice cold beer nearby, "just a can life get any better moment". Now all of the sudden someone throws a pissed of aligator in your bath and turns the light off. [:D]

epackage

Reaction score
Sounds like you might be suffering the ill effects of the Bends...[8D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Those are actually some of the nicer effects of the bends.. [8|]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member