Premium Waters odd pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Hi Red,
I just remembered seeing a pontil rod for iron pontils. It was round were it would connect to the bottle.
I was wondering if they would also use this type of pontil rod for sand and sticky ball pontils?
scpc

tigue710

Reaction score
It really doesn't look like a cleaned iron pontil. Possibly they just used something on hand as a fluke? Sticky and sand pontils can be found made with blow pipe, rounded punty(like iron pontils), solid iron bar and even what looks like large hollow pipe as seen on large demijohns occasionally. Each leaves a slightly different mark... They will sometimes show up on bottles that do not exhibit the type of pontil usually as if it was a quick fix.

It's odd the mark is not round... I think you have some type of fluke there wether it was in the anealing oven to long or they had trouble with punty... It does look very much like the abnormal sticky ball pontil I was researching a few years back... Something I should delve back into

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
WoW!!!!! You guys know your stuff! I told my sister what is going on with the bottle and she is very interested to know just what type of pontil it is.
I am glad that I posted it on the forum/ It was going this week to an auction house, but I think we'll wait to see what becomes of all this.
Thank you everyone for all the research you're doing.
Scpc

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has figured this one out yet? My sister is getting squirrelly about this one. Its been slated to go to auction pretty soon.
SCPC

tigue710

Reaction score
I think there might not be an answer... It isn't quite any of the usual suspects although it does appear to be a pontil... Looks to me most likely to be some type of fluke in the empontiling process, I couldn't without a doubt say it's a Sand chip or sticky ball pontil, it's just not quite there. Funny cause today my bud dug a blue soda base with a very similar looking pontil...

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.
Everybody in our family always thought it was a funny looking iron pontil.
We never thought about it being a sticky ball pontil, so it was interesting to hear what members of the forum thought it might be.
We'll let the auction house decide what to call it.
SCPC

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky