Prepare for rummaging.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
Have you thought about a Tesoro Compadre for a backup?

I know quite a few people who have bought that as a backup and ended up using it as their main! no vdi, it's all beep. 180 bucks or so. lifetime warranty. Top end Tesoros go for about 600ish...they're great machines, but you have to work with it to discern what the beeps mean. Most of their detectors (minus the compadre) have manual ground balancing and auto ground balancing built in. Nice to be able to adjust it depending on the soil you're digging.

There are people on the forum I go to that are sponsors and if you PM them on the forums or call and say you're on the forum, they will hook you up with a good deal (just like guitars etc..they can only advertise the company suggested price).

Our librarian is pretty decent too. An older lady who always knows where stuff is (besides in the library)..Last year I was going to do some research on Crystal Lake, which is in front of the people who live behind me. Old park. I knew it was built in the 1800's when iron mining was going on here. She told me about the pavillion there for swimming etc and how there were 300-500 people there per day in the summers. So I'm drooling(I had no idea it was used for swimming)...I pull up google maps and ask her where it was....well we could see on google maps an outline on the flat spot of the park and a light colored line going to the water...that was the pavillion and the steps down to the water. that's where we found the 1877 CC dime.

I asked an "old timer" who was there where the old dumps were. He pulls out an old map and points them all out to me, plus where all the old elementary schools were...most of them are little corner parks and such now that I totally forgot about....One of the old city dumps is right next to a park I md at. wide open surrounded by pines and probably a 20x20 acre field. Owned by the city. Hope they let me in there...Or I might just take a walk in there and play dumb. Alot of walkers and runners go through there, so not thinking it's a huge deal. Plus wife and I know all the police in town.

Above that old school I have permission to detect on is millie hill. it's the backside of an iron mine and you're basically standing on top of it. A ton of huge pines up there. The path leads to an overlook where you can see the whole town. Librarian asked if I'd gone near the old ski jumps there...another thing I didn't know (not from here though...). Guess there were 2 ski jumps up there. I've found bottles on the backside of the hill that slopes to the road. there is an old house in the middle of the woods there on the backside. going to go there and detect with friend. I can't find it when I go back there.

everyone seems to do well at soccer fields. I've hit all of ours around here (the edges, wouldnt ever go on the field directly) and haven't found much beyond a ton of pop tabs and normal coins. That campground and old house sound promising. Anything that's abandoned or not used much is great for MD'ing....good luck there! I'm getting up, getting kids out of the house, walking across the street swinging.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Wangan, Ive only had it out a few times. I cant really compare it to any of the current model Garretts because My Ex father in law bought his (Garrett) back in the 80s and thats the last G that Ive used. I do like the G`s model Ace-350 and AT-pro. At this time I am considering buying the Ace-350 with the DD coil set up.

But, like Ive told Iron, the first time out in the first 5 mins in the back yard I pulled an 1896 V nickel worth 40-68 bucks. Ive detected this yard many times over the years and have walked over that coin. I selected the MXT-pro because I did a lot of reading and it was in my price range.

Plus the fact at Kellyco they had a special where I got a BH 505 for only 140 vs 349.00 for buying my Whites there. The BH-505 has pulled many coins this week, a 14 kt gold ring (valued at 250.00) and a mecury dime. I am pleased with both units. In the last 2 weeks I probably have pulled nearly 200 coins/3 rings/1 matchbox car/the V nickel/silver dime/copper pcs and probably a few other items Ive forgot.

Iron we will have to compare notes tomorrow afternoon after were done Md. Hopefully we both will get some good finds. We have to hike about 200 yards into the campground with packs and I am taking all 3 detectors and see what that campground /old house give up. Figure the soccer field parking lot is going to be spendable change but with all the girls there, jewelry is always a possibility.

Then when I was putting gas in the car for tomorrows adventure, the girl at the local gas station told me to come back at 10, she has some silver coins to sell me. She comes up with them from time to time and I get them cheap. Hope she has something good. Said she has some half dollars but the dates would indicate they are the 40% junkers. But silvers silver and if the price is right Ill toss them in my "junk" silver bag.

Iron no, I havent used a Tesoro but have read about them. They seem to have good reviews.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Wangan,

White's dectectors are very popular and favored. Made in the USA and a great warranty. They don't really have a low end model, most are midrange to top of the heap. All of their models are quite capable.

Garrett Ace 150/250/350 are all decent, but the best Garrett (from reviews of a ton of people on the forum I'm on) love the ATPro. It's relatively new (2months old or so) and can be used on land or in the ocean/lake/river. So for the price (new) of just under 600 (although I just saw one from a sponsor for 356) it's a great detector and a great deal because now you have a land and water machine. Most water machines start 500 or so..
Only reason I went with Fisher is a: very fast recovery and target separation and it came with 3 coils and a pinpointer. I can move it quickly over 2 targets and it beeps for each....and b: it doesn't make that bing-bong sound that the Aces do. I'd go nuts.

If I had real money, I'd spend 900 and get a Fisher F75. sick machine...I'd have to find a big hunk of gold to be given permission to spend that kind of money.

I'll keep everything I find tomorrow and we'll compare lists. A couple places I'd love to hit, but since I can't drive(recently diagnosed with epilepsy due to semi-massive seizure..in Mich you have to wait x amount of months before you can drive.) I'm stuck walking or biking.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron I spent a lot of time and reading yesterday. I am just at a point of either the Garrett AT-Pro or the Fisher F-5 and the BOGO and get the extra BH 505 for 140. I am leaning at the AT-Pro for the water use. I dont dive but it would be great for shorelines and beaches out a ways.

Figure I can keep the AT-PRO one and maybe sell the extra BH-505 and make a little cash. OR go into the metal detector rental business!!!! Or go with just the Ace 350. But that At-Pro has what I like. Decisions decisions. Could always sell the BH-QD2 to my friend (he doesnt have a lot of $ works P/T at Walmart).

Agree that the Fisher F75 is the top model. That one has won a lot of competitions.

Wangan

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. guys.I like the idea of a water machine.I have been debating whether to buy a detector or not for a long time.I lost my grandfathers WWI compass while deer hunting and would love to find it.I also found out about a box of coins that were buried by a friend that cant find them and I would really like to return them to him.A couple of good starters along with all the possible treasures that can be found.Also metal dumps sometimes mean bottles.

Sorry to hear about your seizure IM.I hope you get your license back soon.No car is a drag.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well no rummaging for me this weekend. I have to run my own sale. That means no detecting either. Hopefully get rid of some stuff.

Wangan I hope you do get a detector. After that 1st find you will be hooked. I do hope that if you do get one, you can find that compass. I am sure that means a lot to you. I once lost a knife up deer hunting and maybe some day will find that again. You might go to Kellyco`s web site and check out the detectors and read the reviews. Or the metal detector forums. This way you can make an informed decision.

Iron, I too, hope you recover to drive again. Think positive my friend!.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Thanks digger... if you're in the mood for a new detector, I'd try the Minelab xterra 705.

Minelab makes awesome coin/jewelry machines. They go deep, they have phenomenal separation of targets. I've seen videos of people detecting with them and it'll literally for real disc out iron and hit a silver signal between 2 pieces...very good machines. (their etrac is considered one of the top machines out there)...and they are silver magnets. It's ridiculous how much silver they pull...Plus the 705 has 3 frequencies you can switch to...which is nice. You can set one for gold (well..for smaller gold like pendants/earrings/small rings etc) and one for relic hunting and one for coins.

Only got out a bit yesterday (alot of junk) and a very short time today...found a logging chain link. It suddenly got cold, dark and rainy today...tomorrow hopefully.

MIdigger

Reaction score
I think those silver coins are deeper. I have to start using that MXT-P more often. The BH505 clears the parking lots with speed and ease. Were trying another spot this afternoon and see what we come up with.

My pal gets kind of dejected when hes not pulling coins and like to give in early. Me, I am looking around thinking where the people are and usually I come up with something. Hopefully todays venture he will do better.

Almost got all the stuff priced for this weekends sale. Will be glad when thats done. May be able to get a few things.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi