privy diggin in MASS.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mysecrets88

Reaction score
Hello,
Started digging my first privy. Site is from about 1870-1880 thru the 1940's then house was razed. The privy is about 4 x8 feet, have started gradually moving down as to keep all sides even for cave ins. At about 2 feet down I started digging wood? would this be the flooring for the privy? One other question is when you are using a shovel or tools where is the likely spot for the hole? is it the center or was the whole 4 x 8 walled section open to be filled as used? I am having enough huffing and puffing taking the soil out i can't imagine how they dug and lined the walls back when, you have to appreciate the will of some people. I have found one bot
le so far. Thankd s for any help in digging
Pat

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Patrick, Is there any chance you got youself into a 'double holer'[8|] From all that I've read on privy digging, generally you do dig out the entire area enclosed by the liner. It seems very often bottles are found in the corners or the edges of the pit. You talk about huffing & puffing, I think the same thing when I read about some of those 20 footers these guys have dug.[8D] Unless you're pressed for time, I say take it easy, or get some help![;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac