Privy seed layer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I have not ever dug a privy but have read alot on subject and loving seeing the stories you guys post. i have been wondering has anyone ever tried to plant and grow seeds from the seed layer? If so what were the results. I know alot of types of plants and food sources have disappeared through the years. i look forward to hearing responces to this subject

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have tried and failed on a few occasions to germinate privy seeds. My guess is that the conditions leave them no longer viable.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
just think of how to explain where this "new" tomato was found!

justanolddigger

Reaction score
dug an old farmhouse privy one time in my early days. Found out later that another outhouse could be nearby, so I went back a couple of years later to try and locate a second one next to it. The privy I dug was totally surrounded with raspberry plants. They grew from the dirt I had excavated years before. I think some seeds would be viable under the right conditions, and they weren't canned, eaten fresh.....bill

TimKY

Reaction score
I have grown several tomato plants from an 1870-1880s pit. I used the seeds that I washed out of the bottles after cleaning. I have tried with seeds from the dirt and never had success growing anything. Some of seeds in the bottle were kept dry or airtight and I think that is the key.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

It would sure be cool to grow and revive a no longer known heirloom tomato that way!
"Do you want me to make you another sandwich darling?"....."NO THANKS grandma, this tomato tastes like S*&T!!!", LOL

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]    [sm=rolleyes.gif] 
I hoped that would get a laugh or a smile Joe...[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member